1.11.x gargoyle-ispy 2018-July-12 06:01

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: 1.11.x gargoyle-ispy 2018-July-12 06:01

Post by ispyisail »

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

Excellent many thanks and if you wouldn't mind, a followup question.

I currently run an Archer C7 with 1.10 Gargoyle from ispy a few months ago. It all seems to be working pretty well. However, I am the type of dude who likes to keep up with the latest so am thinking I should upgrade at some point to 1.11. I don't really run much, basic wifi and routing, no VPN but I do use restrictions to shut wifi off to selected PCs at night to ensure kids sleep. I note the increase in image size which to me (being an old software engineer) can sometimes indicate that the more basic 1.10 may actually run faster than the newer/bigger 1.11. However, the newer 1.11 may offer better security or perform certain aspects better.

Does anyone care to make a general statement? Is it significantly slower/faster than 1.10? Would you upgrade a C7 or get a faster Linksys router? All opinions appreciated.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

1.11.x feels faster on my C7?

pricerc

Re: 1.11.x ipv6

Post by pricerc »

I'd like to put in a vote for IPv6.

I really enjoyed my time with Gargoyle - it has an intuitive interface, and masks all the unnecessary complexity lurking in the full-blown underlying platform.

Unfortunately, I need IPv6 and VOIP support for my landline, so I switched to an ISP-supplied router, while checking every now an then for updates that may see IPv6 coming to Gargoyle.

P.S. I don't think full support for all the features needs to be available immediately, but if the protocols are at least there, then people could use it, and the features could come in later builds.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The protocols are mostly there now.
Appreciate however, it would be a massive undertaking to get all featured working for IPv6. Massive.
And probably something I couldn’t tackle personally as I don’t have the knowledge.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Just an idle question to consider, if it's easy: B/W Distribution Table. I don't know what the sort is by default, but it seems random. Wouldn't it make more sense to reverse-sort by "Total"?

As it is now, whenever I go there, I first change to Days and then look at the table. The hosts with large use are just randomly mixed in. Since we can't sort the table ourselves by clicking the column headers, the default sort is important.

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

ispyisail wrote:1.11.x feels faster on my C7?
I've been running for about a week now and I agree. It does seem faster. Speed tests I think are about 4-6% faster than the old version. I can also say that this release is rock solid, no crashes whatsoever but I do only use the basics.

Well done to everyone. :D
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I've been running for about a week now and I agree. It does seem faster. Speed tests I think are about 4-6% faster than the old version. I can also say that this release is rock solid, no crashes whatsoever but I do only use the basics.

Well done to everyone. :D
agree

Now just waiting for Eric to come back from his "walk about" to push a more stable build

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

rseiler wrote:Just an idle question to consider, if it's easy: B/W Distribution Table. I don't know what the sort is by default, but it seems random. Wouldn't it make more sense to reverse-sort by "Total"?

As it is now, whenever I go there, I first change to Days and then look at the table. The hosts with large use are just randomly mixed in. Since we can't sort the table ourselves by clicking the column headers, the default sort is important.
Default sort was actually IP address. I’ve changed it to your suggestion.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.