WDS/Client Bridge on dual band device

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Keebes

WDS/Client Bridge on dual band device

Post by Keebes »

Maybe I've missed something, but when the router is configured as Wireless Bridge/Repeater there seems to be only the option to configure one of the bands. The other seems to get switched off. Surely the optimal configuration would be to use one band for router/router communication and the other for client/router communication. Can't see any way of configuring this. Any suggestions?

I have two Archer C7 v2 devices running 1.10.0.

Lantis

Re: WDS/Client Bridge on dual band device

Post by Lantis »

Wireless Bridge/Repeater does exactly what it says. It allows you to bridge an existing wireless network, and optionally repeat it.
Repeating it obviously implying that you would be on the same band only.

What you appear to be looking for is Gateway Mode, Connect Via “DHCP Wirless”, with wirless mode set to “Client + AP”.
This means your network will be on a separate subnet, but you’ll be doing what you’ve asked for as broadcasting your own signals. In fact you can broadcast on both bands if you like, as long as the client band uses the same channel of course.

Now if staying on the same subnet is important to you, then you’re going to need to configure it manually yourself on the command line.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I think some advanced Mesh Networks use the 5ghz for back-haul and 2.4ghz for client connections as an example

Better bandwidth utilization.

It not really what gargoyle is all about?

That and we have come from routers that have only band.

ektus

Post by ektus »

5 years later, this topic is still relevant. Would it be possible with the current version of Gargoyle (1.14), either in the GUI or via command line? Wireless Client/Repeater in the same subnet, that is, and using 5GHz on the Wireless Client connection but both bands on the Repeater side. Archer C7 as client, C60 V3 as host.
Connect via DHCP-Wifi and offering both frequencies as access point works, but adds another layer of NAT and unwanted segmentation of the home network.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Via the CLI, yes. There’s no technical limitation there.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.