Problem loading 1.10 on WRT3200ACM Rango

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rrradant

Problem loading 1.10 on WRT3200ACM Rango

Post by rrradant »

Hi everyone. I'm trying to install latest Gargoyle on WRT3200ACM and it hangs every time. I need to do a 30-30-30 to get back to factory firmware. What is weird is that the default ip of the router after reset is 10.138.218.12 rather than the typical 192.168.1.1 I have updated the factory firmware and tried Gargoyle 1.9.2 but no luck. Any ideas? Is there a special process / name of the firmware file required? Thanks.

Lantis

Re: Problem loading 1.10 on WRT3200ACM Rango

Post by Lantis »

Was your device manufactured around December 2017 or later? This information should be on the box.
If so it is probably not compatible with current Gargoyle images.
If you confirm this is the issue, I’ll attempt to work on the fix and you can be the guinea pig if you like. However it is possible that it cannot be easily backported to Gargoyle in which case you might have to wait.

For future reference, “30 30 30” does nothing.
The correct recovery procedure on your device is a triple power flip.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wr ... e_recovery
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rrradant

Post by rrradant »

I contacted Linksys and they said the manufacturing date is November 24, 2017. Based on my failed efforts, the window of problems can be pushed back a bit. I really have no interest in working too hard to get the box operational, I'd rather get my refund. I appreciate the information and offer to help.

The 30/30/30 did get me back to the Linksys firmware. After trying to load Gargoyle 1.10 all I would get is a flashing power light with no connectivity. The 10 second hold down of the reset button did nothing, and repeated powering cyclings were of no good (did not try the 3X power flip). I went back to my old DD-WRT habits with 30/30/30 and it brought up the stock firmware. I will try the triple power flip this evening.

Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No problem.

The key issue is when manufacturers silently update internal components (in this case the flash memory chip) and leave the hardware revision the same.
Same thing happened with the Archer C7 routers but they were much harder to recover.

I hope your refund is painless.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gu3d3s

Post by gu3d3s »

Hello,

There are already FW options for the new WRT3200, I believe that Gargoyle will soon be using this patch too, for now I can talk about the DD-WRT ultima Vs. or the David's VS LEDE made for the WRT linksys line.

And do not ever use 30,30,30 as this can turn your WRT3200 into a permanent brick, follow the instructions suggested by @Lantis

I use this router too, and I'm available to help wherever possible.

rrradant

Post by rrradant »

Good to know about the 30/30/30. I don't think I will wait for the WRT3200ACM patches, probably get another TP-Link Archer C7. I have setup V2's and V3's, but is there a V4 out that is problematic?

coits

Post by coits »

Hi Lantis,

Are there any isuses with wrt3200acm firmware 1.10, I just bought one and not sure, what firmware to flash? please guide to avoid any brick.

Thanks
Gargoyle 1.9.x on Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
Gargoyle 1.10.x on TP-Link Archer C7 v2.0
Gargoyle 1.11.x on WRT3200 acm

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes. Use 1.11.0 RC4. That should work just fine :)

coits

Post by coits »

Lantis wrote:Was your device manufactured around December 2017 or later? This information should be on the box.
If so it is probably not compatible with current Gargoyle images.
If you confirm this is the issue, I’ll attempt to work on the fix and you can be the guinea pig if you like. However it is possible that it cannot be easily backported to Gargoyle in which case you might have to wait.

For future reference, “30 30 30” does nothing.
The correct recovery procedure on your device is a triple power flip.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wr ... e_recovery
Hi Lantis,

I just bought wrt3200-acm ca and there's no info if this is version1.

Are there still any issue with those devices manufactured around Dec. 2017 or later?

Please advise, really appreciate your input.

Thank you
Gargoyle 1.9.x on Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
Gargoyle 1.10.x on TP-Link Archer C7 v2.0
Gargoyle 1.11.x on WRT3200 acm

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes, if you use 1.10 or earlier
No, if you use 1.11 or later

Technically it isn’t a “problem”, it just doesn’t work. The router will fail to boot, and when it does this 3 times it will revert back to how it was. That’s why I like these devices, they’re quite hard to break.