How to prevent users from typing in direct IP addresses & accessing OpenDNS-blocked sites?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

srix55

How to prevent users from typing in direct IP addresses & accessing OpenDNS-blocked sites?

Post by srix55 »

Hi,

I have successfully set up OpenDNS and it works great. However I noticed that it can be easily bypassed by typing in the ip address directly in the browser. How do I block that? I mean, I know I can block specific IP addresses in gargoyle. I want to know how you can block requests that are trying to bypass my forced-dns.

Lantis

Re: How to prevent users from typing in direct IP addresses & accessing OpenDNS-blocked sites?

Post by Lantis »

You can’t. Those aren’t requests to the router they are to the remote server.
Any solution to do this would probably involve a proxy
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

srix55

Re: How to prevent users from typing in direct IP addresses & accessing OpenDNS-blocked sites?

Post by srix55 »

Can gargoyle act as a proxy server?

tapper

Post by tapper »

Sorry that is beyond Gargoyle. You could do it by installing a OpenWRT package but It mite mess with a lot of the things Gargoyle does like firewalling and things.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Most routers aren’t capable of running a proxy server at any reasonable throughput
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

You could look in to running a proxy on a R-Pi. Even then tho the R-Pi has a slow network connection. The Ethernet port is over the USB.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260