75 Mbps

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

twf85

Re: 75 Mbps

Post by twf85 »

NGowner wrote:No. Nothing is turned off. I also do not have quotas or QOS turned on. This is a more or less a default install of Gargoyle.
That's interesting. I wonder if the penalty only occurs for devices/IPs that have a quota in place? I was under the impression that the BWMonitor would carry that penalty regardless of Quotas/QoS utilization.

I ordered a certified refurbished WRT3200ACM from Linksys yesterday, so I should be clear of the penalty soon. I may order a Linksys 1200AC, or pick one up locally on the cheap via Craigslist, for a friend that wants to setup a VPN enabled router.

I am extremely curious to see what the throughput differences are between the "top" Gargoyle routers, with BWMonitor on and Quotas enabled, as well as a VPN configured with a provider like PIA. Because the ISPs in the USA are all starting to cap data usage, and can now sell our browsing history to whomever they please, I imagine solutions like Gargoyle are going to become more popular. If those numbers were available for at least the "top" routers (within the table on the Supported Devices page, alongside CPU/RAM/Flash info), it would help people make an informed decision about what router they would need to get the most out of their Broadband connection.

EDIT 1
Picked up a WRT1200AC v1 and it is capable of saturating my connection. Line rated at 150Mbit and speedtests are showing between 170-180Mbit.

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

Thanks for the tip, can confirm turning off the monitor ups my connection from 75Mbps to the expected 100Mbps TL-WDR 3600v1

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

Lantis wrote:bwmon will get your speed back. But you will lose graphs
It would be nice to have an option in UI to disable the bwmon :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That would be counter productive to most of the features in Gargoyle.
Faster routers are coming out where this is less of an issue.
Faster internet is coming which makes it an issue again.

For now the fact that people can manually work around this seems good enough for me.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

NGowner wrote:I also have an Archer C7 v2.0 as my main router running gargoyle 1.10.0.

My main computer is wired via GE to a second Archer C7 in AC Bridge Mode.

I have no problems reaching the max 100Mbs/10Mbs Spectrum Cable link via speedtests on my computer.

I even tried it with a file download. Google Chrome reported 110Mb/s download speed.

[NG]Owner
Did you ever figure out why that is? Everyone else tops out at not much over 80 with that router and with BWMon on (quotas or not).

I tested it myself today with a new 150/15 connection. Straight to the modem: ~150/15; Straight to the router with BWMon on (~80/15); Straight to the router with BWMon off (~145/15).

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

Sorry, I missed this response.

I don't have QOS enabled.
I have lots of Static IPs enabled.
I have a few restriction rules in place.
And my network is set up as I described above:

Main Router: C7 running 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz APs and 2.4 GHz & 5GHz Guest APs
2 C7 Wireless Bridges in 5GHz Mode
1 1043ND Wireless Bridge
1 841ND Wireless Bridge

And I can pull 116Mb/s down from my desktop (via a C7 in bridge mode) as reported from speedtest.net.

And I ran two file tests:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download
https://turnkeyinternet.net/speed-test/

Both using 1000MB files.

I watched the task manager performance tab in Windows 10 and watched the download consistently hover between 90 - 110 Mb/s.

And I achieve the same results with my Nexus 6 Android phone connected directly to the main C7 router via 5GHz 40Mhz channel (enabled on my N6 via Magisk hack). Although occasionally the N6 only reports about 85 Mb/s. I attributed that to the N6 not the router.

Maybe I have a unicorn? Don't know what else to tell you.

[NG]Owner

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I was testing wired only. Are you as well, or is the above testing wireless?

Your APs should effectively be switches, so you could plug into one of those, but for the truest read, it's best to plug into the main router if you can.

I've never heard of wireless being faster than wired, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

I also have QoS disabled, so it's not that, and it can't be the other things.

We're narrowing in on this.

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

The desktop is gigabit wired to the bridged C7.

N6 Android is wireless.

When I get a chance, I'll plug a laptop I have directly into the main C7 router and do a speedtest and download test from there.

Give me a day or two. I've got family here for Christmas ....

:)

[NG]Owner

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Thanks, it's worth a shot. Though since you're confirming that the earlier tests were wired, it would be strange to say the least if you get different results direct to the router (If anything, you'll get slightly better results). I can't think of anything else to try though.

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Any news yet?