Network issue difficult to debug

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

darrepac

Network issue difficult to debug

Post by darrepac »

My router is working well since several months without issue.
Then I got the "time warp" issue solved 3 days ago (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11227&p=46608#p46608). It was working well since but I got some new problems right now.

I have my own DNS "server" (in fact pihole ad-blocking system) and thought at first that the issue was from it. Yet, I change the DNS settings in Gargoyle interface to Google ones and I still have the following issue:

Most of computer, tablet and so on have very difficulty to get internet access (web browsing or else). Let's say they succeed to get access 1 time over 20 trials (or so). They got a lot of DNS not resolved or timeout.
On Gargoyle side, I put logqueries to 1 on dhcp>dnsmasq settings and I can see that most queries are well forwarded to Google DNS. Most, because sometimes a "lan" is appended to the querie and so it fall into NXDOMAIN ("lan" being the default local/domain options of dnsmasq). Even if strange I don't think it is the cause of the problem as most of the queries seem to be well forwarded.
Basically a machine is requesting IP of http://www.abcd.com.
I see the http://www.abcd.com request into log of Gargoyle, the request is said to be forwarded to google dns.
On the machine, I got an error saying dns not resolved or dns probe finished no internet or timeout.

Questions:
- any hint?
- as the uplink of the DNS request seem ok, could it be the downlink (where dns server give the result)? I don't see any log for that. (note: I tried also my ISP DNS with same result)
- It may not come from DNS stuff but seems to come from router

thanks

I am running 1.9.2

darrepac

Re: Network issue difficult to debug

Post by darrepac »

I tried some nslookup from Gargoyle terminal: it fails most of the time (can't resolve) or if it works, it is very very slow

darrepac

Post by darrepac »

Sometimes, the machine seems to get the right IP but download fail... I am unable to do a apt-get update or upgrade due to that: either it doesn get the ip of the server or it seems it get it but thow an error after a while: "404 not found [IP: 46.235.227.226 80]"

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

With gargoyle usually the easiest fault finding procedure is to reflash or failsafe reset.

The gargoyle config can get broken sometimes

After that its a process of elimination..........is the gargoyle router really the problem?

darrepac

Post by darrepac »

I am not sure about anything.... yes I can reflash and check

darrepac

Post by darrepac »

so I have flashed with 1.9.2 again but without keeping the settings (so I start with a brand new install).
I started step by step:
- local network with ethernet is working correctly
- then I activated WiFi and the same symptom than before happened again: very difficult internet access from both WiFi client but also ethernet client

Any hint?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

can you post your settings please? screenshot or otherwise.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

darrepac

Post by darrepac »

After few enable /disable, I got it working.
Either the current FW + HW is not stable and I will go back to 1.9.1 if I got problems soon, or I don't really what happened...

Will see if it is stable right now (running since few hours without issue so far)

Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I had a similar setup running for a year or so... but have now binned the pi in favour of the inbuilt ad blocker, as I got sick of several sites I use throwing up errors !
The set did work perfectly after I altered a configuration file - please see my other posts. Also assign the pi a fixed ip address.