Archer C7 v2 Client Mode issue

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

De-Lemon

Archer C7 v2 Client Mode issue

Post by De-Lemon »

Hi all,
New to open source firmware but been playing around with them alot recently.

I am trying to setup an archer c7 v2 as a client to my wireless network hosted by a Netgear r7800 (stock firmware)

I have the client bridge setup and clients are getting DHCP from the main router and all traffic seems fine. The issue is that the 2nd router in client mode is loosing its web interface and not responding to pings.

I have the main router on 192.168.1.1 and the secondary statically set to 192.168.1.200 which is out side the DHCP scope.

I have tried the 1.9.1 and the latest 1.9.x build.

Any ideas?

De-Lemon

Re: Archer C7 v2 Client Mode issue

Post by De-Lemon »

So the web interface seems to respond after a while but i get this screen and not the log in. Same happens for both firmware after configuring. Does not happen until after configuration is set.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you please post a picture of your connection settings and your DHCP settings?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

De-Lemon

Post by De-Lemon »

Sure here is a screen grab of the 2nd router configuration. The strange part is i can access the web gui for about 1-2 minutes after a reboot then it stops responding to access of all type. It still works as a bridge for the clients.

Also i just noticed that the configuration shows different then when i saved it. It was set to AC and channel 151 but the new page shows a 2.4 channel and shows bgn on a channel that is 5 ghz only.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No picture present
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

De-Lemon

Post by De-Lemon »

I did not realize the board would not take attachments. Here are both screen grabs.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

A few things spring to mind.

1. Where did "LuCI - Lua Configuration Interface" come from? If this router previously had Openwrt on it, i'd suggest clearing your browser cache as some of the old interface might be hanging around.
2. Look at the instruction for the Bridge IP. "Must be outside AP Subnet". You can't use 192.168.1.x, because that is where your AP already is. You need to use something else.
Don't worry, everything will still end up on the same subnet.

As for your settings displaying BGN when you expect 5GHz settings... it doesn't look out of place currently, but it may be glitched.
I'd suggest you try setting everything again, taking into account the previous 2 points and see where you get to.

Give this a read and study the diagram if you want an explanation of how the bridge will work and where to find your Gargoyle after the link has been properly established (hint: it moves!)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9929&p=42276&hilit=relayd#p42273

De-Lemon

Post by De-Lemon »

Well that explains ALOT!!!

1. Cleared and not happening. Thanks!
2. Got it setup on 192.168.2.1
3. The issue is still happening were it shows the wrong settings for the network after being setup.

This is what i configured:

This is what displays after reboot

How do you set it up to know what the DHCP address is on the 2nd router without having to go into the first one and look at the logs.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think your settings are now fine, the interface not matching is a visual glitch only (that i will look into).
If you want to confirm, just type "uci show wireless" at the console and post here the output for me to inspect. Remember to have a quick flick through and remove any passwords or other sensitive information.

If you type "logread" at the console you should find a message somewhere which says "Assigning <ip address> to bridge interface".
This will be the DHCP address. But it may have disappeared by now (the log is a circular buffer, first in first out).

You could type "uci get network.bridgecfg.ipaddr" to find out.
I'll look at adding this information into the interface. It is probably very useful to be able to find!

See command line instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8505

De-Lemon

Post by De-Lemon »

Great. Thanks for all the help. Here is the output:

Code: Select all

root@Gargoyle:~# uci show wireless
wireless.radio0=wifi-device
wireless.radio0.type='mac80211'
wireless.radio0.hwmode='11a'
wireless.radio0.path='pci0000:01/0000:01:00.0'
wireless.radio0.htmode='VHT80'
wireless.radio0.channel='153'
wireless.radio1=wifi-device
wireless.radio1.type='mac80211'
wireless.radio1.channel='11'
wireless.radio1.hwmode='11g'
wireless.radio1.path='platform/qca955x_wmac'
wireless.radio1.htmode='HT20'
wireless.cfg2=wifi-iface
wireless.cfg2.device='radio0'
wireless.cfg2.network='wwan'
wireless.cfg2.mode='sta'
wireless.cfg2.client_bridge='1'
wireless.cfg2.ssid='MissingLink-5G'
wireless.cfg2.encryption='psk2'
wireless.cfg2.key='REMOVEDPASS'
root@Gargoyle:~#
I think you are right. Looks to be just a display glitch.

I do agree seeing the info on the configuration page would be great.

This is really working well. The connection is solid.