Quota management

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

holger

Quota management

Post by holger »

Few suggestions for improvements to the quota management:

(1) Ability to carry left-over quota over into the next period
(2) Notification when quota reaches threshold
(3) Ability for users to monitor their quota

========================================================
(1) Ability to carry left-over quota over into the next period
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background:
I've got a monthly data cap from my ISP. I've set weekly quotas for my kids to ensure that I can still get internet towards the end of the month, and that they also still have the ability in the last week of the month to do school research - so they cannot blow their entire quota for the month in the first week...

Requirement:
What I'd like the quota rules to be extended for is following:
(a) tick box to control that when the quota rolls over to the next period (next week in my case) any remaining quota from the previous period is added to the standard quota for that next period as roll-over quota. Example: weekly quota is 3GB; user used 2GB for a week; next week they've got 4GB - 3GB standard plus the 1GB that they didn't use in the previous period as roll-over quota.
(b) a separate reset date and time for roll-over quota. When my ISP quota rolls over, any roll-over quotas need to be reset. Example: at the end of the month, there is a combined 10GB roll-over quota unused on the individual quotas. However, since my ISP does not roll-over unused quota from one month to the next, I still get the same data cap as every month, so I cannot grant my individual users any more than their standard for the first week.

===========================================
(2) Notification when quota reaches threshold
----------------------------------------------------------------
Background:
Unless I tell my users how much of their quota they've used already, they've got no visibility as to whether they can afford to watch another movie and still be able to finish their school research for the week.

Requirement:
Some method of alerting a user when a threshold defined against their quota rule is being reached. The most visible would be if the router could re-direct the user's web page to a page that shows them the information that they've used x% of their quota, how much they've used on average per day during the quota period (or even a graph showing the usage per day or user-definable time period), and how much they've got left, and the date/time when their new quota starts. A button allows the user to confirm this and continue with the page they were browsing before the note came up. The router logs the confirmation against the quota rule with date/time/device name/device IP/MAC address. If the router cannot intercept the traffic / redirect the web page, alternatively an email could be send to notify the user; however, this would require the router to be able to email out via the administrator's account and for one or more user email addresses to be stored against the quota rule.

=======================================
(3) Ability for users to monitor their quota
-----------------------------------------------------------
Background:
Unless I tell my users how much of their quota they've used already, they've got no visibility as to whether they can afford to watch another movie and still be able to finish their school research for the week.

Requirement:
The ability for a user to go to a specific web page where they can see their quota and how they are tracking. Ideally, I could configure a http address in my router, e.g. http://www.mygargoyle.home, which the router intercepts and responds to with a web page that displays the quota usage for the particular user. So router identifies based on IP address requesting the web page, which quota rule this user falls under, and displays a web page with the current stats for that quota rule:
(a) date and time when the quota rolls over
(b) total quota size, how much has been used, and how much is left over in absolute and relative terms
(c) a usage graph for the current quota period showing the user how much of their quota they've used per (user-selectable) 15 minutes, 60 minutes, 24 hours, etc.

A similar request has been stated in
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=13&t=895

barefootguru

Re: Quota management

Post by barefootguru »

If you visit the router homepage from a computer which has a quota assigned (without logging in), the router will show percentage and MB of quota used for that IP.

holger

Post by holger »

Ah, good to know, cheers! That ticks item 3 largely off my list
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle 1.6

GeorgeBiF

Post by GeorgeBiF »

I'd like another option on the Bandwidth Quotas. I currently throttle bandwidth once a download quota is exceeded (current throttle is 150 kbps). However, some devices are still consuming large amounts of data even at the 150 kbps rate.

What I would like is a second "Absolute Download" option once I select to throttle bandwidth. If a device reaches the Absolute Download limit, then I want to shutdown all internet access for that device.

I suppose this could also apply to upload. This option would appear once "Throttle Bandwidth" is selected

I did read another post about using QoS service classes to implement something like this, but I don't believe it has made it into the builds.

Very Nice to Have in my environment.

enginama

Post by enginama »

In addition a nice to have on quota management is to add by hostname instead of only by IP.
By adding by IP, DHCP is dynamic so unless you set every host it's dedicated internal IP it could cause a problem ... adding by hostname would be easier (or mac address at least). ... something which can't dynamically change.

Thanks

Enginama

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The entire premise of Gargoyle is
1) set a static ip
2) apply a policy
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

jaf0

Post by jaf0 »

hey lantis,

don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's somewhat related.

is there a way to segregate quotas for intranet and WAN?

my use case is when casting content from a local machine, I don't need it throttled.
WD MyNet N600
- Gargoyle 1.9.0 - 5dd9058 06Nov2015
- ChaosCalmer-r47335-ar71xx/usb_large

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Traffic traversing the LAN (LAN<->LAN) is not counted towards any bandwidth usage or quotas
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.