Need help setting up QoS for the first time.

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Musclethumbs

Need help setting up QoS for the first time.

Post by Musclethumbs »

Hello,

I've had gargoyle on my WDR3600 for a while now and it's working very nicely. But because I'm a bit of a heavy multiplayer gamer I thought it might be time to set up QoS for my router to stop my ping from spiking when someone else in the family downloads, But I have no idea how to do it for my setup. I'm hoping someone here could give me some help :D

So in my house I have around 3 computers, 3 mobile phones and 1 Xbox One, all shared between my family. I want to limit how much bandwidth pretty much all of these apart from one computer which is the main one and I'm not too bothered about the mobile phones. So I mainly want to limit 2 of the computers and the Xbox. I'm not too sure how QoS works but is there a easy way to set this up and work fine with multiplayer games such as WoW? What will need to be done? I want to have all the bandwidth available to my main pc and the rest capped. My download speeds are pretty low too because of crappy Australian internet, so I get around 1.4 down, 0.70 up.

Thanks for any help given. :)

Volaris

Re: Need help setting up QoS for the first time.

Post by Volaris »

QoS will be really helpful given your speeds. If set-up correctly, it'll improve everyone's browsing experience and keep pings low for all. As it is, even a video or an app update on a phone can saturate your connection (and cause high pings / laggy browsing).

I'm going to show you my setup that has worked really well for us, and you can do it in like 2 minutes. It keeps everyone's downloads equal and pings low for all, regardless of device or port (just in case your games use some random ports and you don't want to mess with those).

Go to QoS Upload under Firewall and turn it on. Delete all rules. Set default service class to Normal. Delete all service classes except normal. Set Normal to 100%. Set your upload speed. This is very important because Gargoyle can't determine it for you. It needs to be a little lower than what you get for upload speed tests. Maybe 600kbps?

End result should look something like this, except with your upload speed.

Save your settings and move on to download QoS. Delete all rules and set default service class to Normal. Delete all service classes except Normal. Set Normal to 100%. I do not recommend Min RTT for your connection because your speed is already slow; it would make it even slower (plus the difference isn't much at all; 10ms for me). Set your download speed. This one you can set at the max you've ever seen or even a little higher. Maybe 2000? You're the one that knows how fast your speed can go. By using ACC, Gargoyle will find out the correct download limit (unlike upload). End result should look something like this, except with your speed:

Scroll lower to ACC. Activate it (first checkbox). You can leave the rest unchecked. Later on if you notice your ISPs server doesn't work well to determine your download speed, you can change it to Google DNS or OpenDNS (8.8.8.8 or 208.67.222.222). Not sure what's more stable down under. Save your settings.

All done. Go start a big download somewhere (perhaps an Ubuntu ISO? Anything that'll max your connection for a few minutes). Go back to your QOS Download settings page and take a look at ACC section at bottom. If correct, it should be determining your speed correctly (something around 1200 to 1400 in link limit). Refresh page if needed. If it's not working well, see above and switch ping target (second checkbox) to Google DNS or OpenDNS IP. Once you see it stabilize, start a speed test on a different device and you should see that your pings stay slow and download speeds split evenly between devices. This is nice because you don't have to worry about what ports your games use, or what device IPs to limit, etc.

That'll get your started (frankly, it's the QoS set-up I've used for years and ever since then everyone in my family has been happy). If you want to limit other devices and what not, I'll let someone else guide you thru that, but be careful or otherwise you'll leave all the other devices with nothing.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

tapper

Post by tapper »

@Volaris Nice post some grate info!
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Musclethumbs

Post by Musclethumbs »

@Volaris Thanks so much for the help. I have set up my QoS the way you have said and it's working pretty well so far. Awesome guide to getting me started with QoS. Thanks again :D

Musclethumbs

Post by Musclethumbs »

I'm having a bit of trouble with the download speeds now :s

On speedtest.net I get around 11.00Mbps down. I think I may have said my speeds wrong in the first post. So does this mean I should set the total bandwidth on the QoS to around 15,000? I'm probably more confused than I should be haha.

Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You should be setting your speed to your maximum speed. Not higher.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Musclethumbs wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble with the download speeds now :s

On speedtest.net I get around 11.00Mbps down. I think I may have said my speeds wrong in the first post. So does this mean I should set the total bandwidth on the QoS to around 15,000? I'm probably more confused than I should be haha.

Thanks.
Hi if you get 1.4 down you should set it to 1350 kbits/s and see how it gos if that's ok then go up by 10 to 1360 until it stops being so good. wen you find the point wen it's gets bad again then back off by 5 or 10 kbits/s

by the way 11.00Mbps is 11000 kbits/s

i think.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Musclethumbs

Post by Musclethumbs »

Yeah I got a bit confused by the download speeds. So my internet is 11.000Mbps, so I should be putting in 11000 into the total bandwidth yeah? Hopefully I got it right this time.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

tapper wrote:@Volaris Nice post some grate info!
Thanks!
Musclethumbs wrote:@Volaris Thanks so much for the help. I have set up my QoS the way you have said and it's working pretty well so far. Awesome guide to getting me started with QoS. Thanks again :D
Musclethumbs wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble with the download speeds now :s

Thanks.
Musclethumbs wrote:Yeah I got a bit confused by the download speeds. So my internet is 11.000Mbps, so I should be putting in 11000 into the total bandwidth yeah? Hopefully I got it right this time.
Great to hear!

Yeah if you're getting 11 Mbps down on speedtest.net you need at least 11000 kbit/s for download. You want that speed the maximum that your line can get (speeds can vary throughout the day if the ISP gets congested). Is your Internet plan rated for a certain speed? Or you can connect your modem directly to your computer and do a few speed tests to see what the maximum is you get without any other device using it. ACC can determine your speed anything below that given download speed, but not above it (in my experience it).

With an 11 Mbps line you should have a great Internet experience with QoS. You won't have to worry about one device saturating your bandwidth if they start downloading stuff. Plus it'll always keep your pings low for your games (assuming your upload speed isn't set above what your line is capable). My line is only 6 Mbps and there's 3 Internet users and it's been fine for us with Gargoyle QoS. Prior to using Gargoyle's QoS (DDWRT, Tomato, etc) there were always complaints in the family about slow Internet because one user would hog up all the bandwidth (tumblr, torrents, HD videos, big file downloads, etc) and leave the rest with very slow and laggy browsing.

My point is, Gargoyle QoS is awesome. Its developers should be millionaires developing proper QoS for cellular and public WiFi networks. :D :P Whenever I'm on a slow / high ping cellular or WiFi network I always think to myself "If only they used Gargoyle..." :lol:
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

JavaMachine

Post by JavaMachine »

Volaris wrote:your pings stay slow and download speeds split evenly between devices
In my case I have over 8 devices actively using Internet in my house.
And high speed internet in my country (Uzbekistan) is something above and beyond of imagination.

I have 1024 kb/s download and 1024 kb/s upload limit :(
For now I am using RTT for somehow utilizing my ping in Dota 2 & WoW and even with this sometimes I have to completely disable internet for others.

By following your instructions, will I get desired ping even other 8 devices are actively downloading/surfing internet?

Thanks in advance