Installing to Archer C7 V2

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

castortroy

Installing to Archer C7 V2

Post by castortroy »

Hi All,

I have just bought this router since it is deemed a good router by thewirecutter.com and of course supported by Gargoyle. I really need the data cap limit described in this blog the-gadgeteer, because we are regularly hitting our data caps halfway through the month.

Firmware Version: 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

Now in my excitement after buying and unboxing the router, I hooked it up and went to run the firmware upgrade with the file
gargoyle_1.8.1-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin

This wasn't such a good idea because I ended up bricking my router. Thankfully this guide was available from openwrt so my router is now good again.

Now, before I haphazardly start flashing any firmware binaries into my router, I did some more research. I have a few queries if you could all please confirm if I have the following steps correct:

1) I think my router is non-US because in the serial number and version sticker, it only shows "Ver:2.0" instead of "US:2.0"

2) Flash a DD-WRT version. When I checked dd-wrt they specifically mentioned to upgrade to the 150427 firmware. I assume this refers to the build number, so I guess I am good.

3) Next step I think is to flash the Gargoyle firmware. Now which version can I flash into my router: 1.8.1, 1.9.0, or 1.9.1?
- I have seen some posts where they were able to successfully flash in any of those, but I also saw some warnings that 1.9.* can brick the archer c7. Which one should I go for?

Thanks again!

Lantis

Re: Installing to Archer C7 V2

Post by Lantis »

The latest 1.9.x from the show and tell forum is your best option for best results.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

castortroy

Post by castortroy »

Thanks Lantis!

I flashed gargoyle_1.9.1-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin
and my TP-Link Archer C7 is now on Gargoyle. Woohoo!

There is just a bit of a hiccup though, I can't seem to see the 5GHz Access Point.

I installed WifiInfoView to confirm as well. I can see the 2.4GHz Access Point and the Guest Network I created also on 2.4GHz, however I can't see the 5GHz I have setup.

I can see the 5GHz Access Point of my old router/modem and also some of my neighbors' .

Maybe I have missed something?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I would start with a "fail safe reset" just to check for a bad config

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Did you install 1.9.1 or 1.9.x?
There's a difference.

I would start there first.
Interestingly you're the second person in 24 hours to tell me about 5ghz wifi issues on that device...
If I had to guess you're using a channel other than 36?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

castortroy

Post by castortroy »

Yeah, I was using channel 100 actually. I changed it now to 36 and it is now working. Thanks!

Yes, I actually installed 1.9.1.

I just found this thread where I can find the 1.9.x for Archer C7.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8637

I now have successfully upgraded my router using the file
gargoyle_1.9.x-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

I tried channel 100 again just to check if it was fixed in 1.9.x, but it didn't work. So I just changed it back to 36.

I now have an Archer C7 V2 on Gargoyle 1.9.x.

Next step now is to change my ISP provided router/modem to modem only.

Thank you again Lantis!
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 on 1.9.X (Built 20160924-1943 git@093be12)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Channel 100 is part of the DFS range. I suspect something isn't quite right with how I fixed DFS. But I'd need a device to test.

As long as you're happy on channel 36 no problem.
You can probably also use channels > 144.

Alternatively, you might be able to set your country at the command line which may enable channel 100.

castortroy

Post by castortroy »

I see. Well the only reason I tried 100 was that there was 1 other wifi using 36 near me. But I don't think it should be a problem if there will now be 2 of using that.

It's alright. I'll just stick with 36. I haven't tried accessing via the console yet. I'll leave that for another weekend. :)

Now I'm going to follow your post about prioritising game bandwidth.
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... eforgamers

tapper

Post by tapper »

castortroy wrote:I see. Well the only reason I tried 100 was that there was 1 other wifi using 36 near me. But I don't think it should be a problem if there will now be 2 of using that.

It's alright. I'll just stick with 36. I haven't tried accessing via the console yet. I'll leave that for another weekend. :)

Now I'm going to follow your post about prioritising game bandwidth.
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... eforgamers
Hi mate here is the link for the latest build for the c7:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=9178
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

castortroy

Post by castortroy »

Thanks for the link tapper!

I upgraded the firmware and it is looking good.

What is weird for me though is that what is working for me in the Internet/WAN config is Connect via "DHCP (Wired)". It doesn't work when I set it to PPPoE, even though I have setup my modem as Bridged. Maybe it is because I have the "Telstra Gateway Max" modem.