Remote Access through HughesNet

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

GeorgeBiF

Remote Access through HughesNet

Post by GeorgeBiF »

I am replacing a low end LinkSys router (EA6400) with Gargoyle 1.9.x running on TP-Link Archer C7 V2. Now I want to be able to remotely access the router from anywhere. I do not have a static WAN IP. When I query "Whats my IP" I am returned an IPv6 address.

I have been using LinksysSmartWifi to remotely access the old router, but that will no longer be available once I swap in the Gargoyle router. In any case, LinkSys has solved the problem of remote access through the HughesNet system. Their mechanism for doing this is not something I have been able to discover.

Does anyone have a fix such that I could remotely access the new router? (other than paying HughesNet to assign a static IP)

I've read some articles that the router could somehow send an outbound message that can be used to gain remote access, but again I don't have a clue on how to do this.

Lantis

Re: Remote Access through HughesNet

Post by Lantis »

This is exactly what the DDNS feature is for.
Have a bit of a read about that and come back if you have fyrther questions.
There's plenty of free providers, most of them require you to login every 30 days or similar.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@GeorgeBiF

Using Gargoyle I do this all the time

-Setup DDNS
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... s_services

-Then set up OpenVPN using DDNS

-Downlaod and install OpenVPN client
https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sour ... loads.html

Configure the VPN client using the key file form gargoyle

Depending on your ISP setup you may also come across "Closed ports"?

GeorgeBiF

Post by GeorgeBiF »

Thanks for all of the help. This is a real journey for a newbie like myself.

I tried setting up a domain on no-ip.com, only to find that they do not support ipv6. I'm now starting along the freedns.afraid.com route.

The freedns instructions from afraid say to load the Update Key into the "Hostname" field "dns_name,update_key". I use the "Domain Name" in the Gargoyle DDNS page, but when I try to add the update_key, I get this error (disguising my domain and key)
Update of new dyname DNS service configuration(s) failed:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx.mooo.com,QWERTY1234567890.Xyz

Service(s) could not be updated properly and have therefore been removed.
What I have done is to add just the URL and save the changes on the DDNS page. I then use the edit button to edit the domain name and add the comma and update_key to the end of the URL.

The issue is that I am trying to write instructions for the property manager to go step by step through the DDNS setup process. I don't have access to the Hughesnet system at home, so I can't debug my process from home.

Once I see that DDNS is setup and communicating with freedns, then I need to start with my client side work.

Any tips/insights appreciated.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

So using freedns.afraid.org, you need to enter the following:

Domain Name: enter the domain you have registered. in my case it is
testing.chickenkiller.com (lol! :lol: )
User Name: enter the username you use to login to freedns website
Password: enter the password for login to freedns website
Check interval and force intervals leave default.

Code: Select all

user.info syslog: Successfully retrieved local ip from url: http://checkmyip.com
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]: Checking whether update needed:
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]:  service provider=freedns.afraid.org
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]:  domain=testing.chickenkiller.com
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]:  Successfully retrieved local ip from url: http://checkmyip.com
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]:  local IP  = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (INTENTIONALLY BLANKED)
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]:  remote IP = abc.abc.abc.abc (INTENTIONALLY BLANKED)
daemon.info ddns_gargoyle[9556]:  Update successful
BTW! Gargoyle doesn't support ipv6 out of the box so it may only retrieve and update ipv4 addresses!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

GeorgeBiF

Post by GeorgeBiF »

Once again, thanks for all the help. I am now able to connect by VPN.

I'm assuming that the gargoyle router is configured as the VPN server. I then created a client for my IOS device and loaded the OpenVPN app on the iphone.

I did find that with freends.afraid.org, that I had to include the update_key in the Domain Name (as in domain_name,update_key). I couldn't get it to work without the update_key.

I have to wait until late July to see if this will work at my remote HughesNet site.

GeorgeBiF

Post by GeorgeBiF »

Finally back in the Wisconsin north woods and trying to get either DDNS or OpenVPN to work with my HughesNet satellite system. --NO LUCK--

The WAN-IP reported today is 100.108.132.210. I am unable to connect to this IP because the whole HughesNet system contains a whole lot of things I don't understand (NAT and ipv6).

I've heard that I might be able to connect to the gargoyle router if I could get the current ipv6. That's about all I know. Does anyone have an idea of how I could retrieve an ipv6 address (the correct one) that would allow for remote access?

I understand that this ipv6 address is subject to change at frequent intervals (I know that the ipv4 address changes frequently)

HughesNet is absolutely unwilling to assign me a static IP.

Could a script and the email plugin provide this information for remote access? Figuring out the email plugin is another challenge for me. I'm still trying to get a test email

...feeling confused...