Better WiFi settings

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

MrBrown

Better WiFi settings

Post by MrBrown »

Hey guys,

so Ive tried the Gargoyle firmware and its good overal.

I was wondering why there is no setting for automatic WiFi channel selection, since I think the stock TP Link firmware actually supports auto wifi channel selection.

Also I think it would be nice to be able to turn on/off 2,4-GHz and 5-GHz WiFi independently. And to be able to select the WiFi mode between bg/gn/bgn or "n-only" at 5 GHz.

It would also be helpful to see more information about the wifi on the "Status" page. Like the 2.4/5 Ghz mode info, power output (dB), recent wifi channel, bgn standard used etc.

The power output setting could be split in 3 presets- maximum power 25 dB, medium 15 dB, low 10 dB for example..

I think the Status page could use more details in general.

Lantis

Re: Better WiFi settings

Post by Lantis »

MrBrown wrote:Hey guys,

so Ive tried the Gargoyle firmware and its good overal.

I was wondering why there is no setting for automatic WiFi channel selection, since I think the stock TP Link firmware actually supports auto wifi channel selection.

Also I think it would be nice to be able to turn on/off 2,4-GHz and 5-GHz WiFi independently. And to be able to select the WiFi mode between bg/gn/bgn or "n-only" at 5 GHz.

It would also be helpful to see more information about the wifi on the "Status" page. Like the 2.4/5 Ghz mode info, power output (dB), recent wifi channel, bgn standard used etc.

The power output setting could be split in 3 presets- maximum power 25 dB, medium 15 dB, low 10 dB for example..

I think the Status page could use more details in general.

If you load up the latest testing version half of your suggestions are already there.
As far as N only mode, it's a niche configuration option that I don't believe to be necessary. However the end user can force it through the command line. Can you sell me this option?

There is an auto channel selection in openwrt. It just chooses 1 lol. With the proliferation of smart phones with wifi scanners, or the wifi scanning gargoyle plugin, it's better left to the users judgement in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree with the power output changes. Again it's a niche case here people choose anything other than maximum. It's simpler to have full or custom.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Adri

Post by Adri »

Some access points, when set to 'auto channel' selection, automatically rescan the band every x minutes, when idle or no clients are connected, to adapt to a changing environment.
This allows you to select the best channel available all the time, instead of just once, when the router gets booted.

I think this could be worthwhile option?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'd have to write some kind of daemon to do it.
Which is possible but I'm not sure the gain is worth it.

I'll think about it.

Im still not entirely sold
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Adri

Post by Adri »

I think in a busy and constantly changing wifi enviroment, like these days on the old 2.4 Ghz band, it might improve reception and speed.
Trying to find a free or least busy channel on startup is fine, but there is no guarantee this will be the best channel available forever.

The same problem exists, even when you manually pick the best channel.
The best channel today might be the worst tomorrow, when your next door neighbour installs a new router.

Some people hardly ever reboot their router. :)

frosty

Post by frosty »

I am also all for this feature! There is so much wifi activity around my flat, I constantly have to recheck the spectrum, only to find out that some other router in my vicinity has been given the same channel as mine again.. That feature would save me some hassle, and is something that is actually part of the stock wr1043nd firmware.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Would the spectrum analyzer plugin make it easier to write such code?

How would I know which channel is best for my situation? Channel 1 because it has weaker networks (but a ton of them) or channel 11 because it has fewer networks (but a stronger one)?

But I agree that many routers are dynamic because a month ago channel 6 was almost empty, so I set it at 6. Now the results are a lot different.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes it would use a similar method of harvesting the data and then do a weighted score to figure out which channel is best.

Channel 1 with weaker signals.
But, your 2.4 is full as. Move to 5ghz and I think you'll see a massive improvement.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Lantis wrote:Yes it would use a similar method of harvesting the data and then do a weighted score to figure out which channel is best.

Channel 1 with weaker signals.
But, your 2.4 is full as. Move to 5ghz and I think you'll see a massive improvement.
Thanks! I should be getting a WD My Net N750 this Friday so I'm looking forward to that. My current 2.4GHz network dies each time the microwave is turned on.

This is in a suburban neighborhood with single family homes not too close to each other - I can only imagine how busy the 2.4GHz band is in big city apartments and condos!

Also, not sure if relevant, but I noticed on the spectrum analyzer tool, you have to keep refreshing if you want a lot of networks to show up. If you only load it once, it'll show around half of those networks.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I harvest the data directly from the routers wifi interface. It only reports what it sees.
Sometimes the scans don't see everything.

In my home I can run it 10 times in a row and get 10 different numbers of networks.