Version 1.9.1

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

erez669

Re: Version 1.9.1

Post by erez669 »

Lantis wrote:
erez669 wrote:tp-link tl-wr1043 nd v2.1 i flashed the new version and my router has infinite loop and restart itself, i'm so afraid that i bricked it, but luckily i had the previous version file so i donwgraded to 1.8.1 and now it's ok again.
please fix this issues.

:x :shock: :roll:
If you preserved settings, don't

If you didn't, just failsafe reset it.
1.8.1 sucks. Move forward.
how to failsafe mode? and version 1.8.1 is very stable for me now.

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

erez669 wrote:how to failsafe mode? and version 1.8.1 is very stable for me now.
read second and third post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2080
failsafe_mode_recovery]
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... e_recovery

erez669

Post by erez669 »

can i use version 1.9.0 instead of 1.9.1 on my tp-link tl-wr1043nd v2.1?
it is more stable edition? someone try to flash on it's router and see if it works correctly without any issues? i don't want to get into troubles.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

erez669 wrote:can i use version 1.9.0 instead of 1.9.1 on my tp-link tl-wr1043nd v2.1?
it is more stable edition? someone try to flash on it's router and see if it works correctly without any issues? i don't want to get into troubles.
1.9.1 should be much more stable because 1.9 was the first release on OpenWRT Chaos Calmer.

When you upgraded to 1.9.1, did you check the box in the upgrade page? (the one in the image below)
https://snapr.pw/i/4b2ef4c613.png

If you did, that's why it did infinite loop. Only other suggestion is to try to download the firmware again to make sure it's not corrupt/bad download.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

erez669

Post by erez669 »

i'm not checked preserve settings.
i will try again later but i'm really afraid to brick my unit totally.

butler360

Post by butler360 »

All went well on WNDR3700 coming from 1.9.0 without preserving settings.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

wr1043nd-v3 is "missing" from the list. The firmware for this model is available in ispyisail's firmware.
Since "Preserve settings" options could be faulty in more than 50% of firmware updates, wouldn't be better to remove that option
I think this option should be removed to stop people bricking their routers. A better way would be to force everyone to manually (or automatically) download the settings backup, then restore it to the router after upgrade. This way, it will be possible to run some scripts to check if the backup files are valid or compatible with the latest firmware and make it possible to drop settings that will not work or brick the router. Before settings is restored, this also allows one to see the firmware upgrade works and the problem lies in the settings backup restore, meaning failsafe (or firstboot) will definitely fix it.
-----------
There is something wrong with 1.9.1 when QoS is enabled. Without QoS, the router appears to function normally.

Symptoms on Archer C7
1) The router will be stuck in reboot loop
2) Unable to access router via web or SSH
3) Right after router boots up, when web interface is available. Clicking on Firewall will cause the web interface to freeze immediately, i.e. triggering (2) immediately
4) QoS does not recognize manually added L7 protocols, even though I have already updated L7index file and provided the pat file. (The same approach works on 1.8.1, so I am 100% sure I know what I am doing.)
5) After QoS is enabled, it may result in the router "freezing up", i.e. no internet or access to router. This is more apparent if you have a longer list of QoS rules than default.

I am able to reproduce the same problem on 1043nd v2. On the 1043nd v2, I used a freshly installed 1.9.1 Gargoyle firmware with no custom settings other than enabling Uploading QoS, adding new QoS classes and adding QoS rules. The router eventually get stuck in a reboot loop after save settings.

Note: WiFi was not enabled. Tests were done over ethernet.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

petbrau

Post by petbrau »

ericwong wrote: There is something wrong with 1.9.1 when QoS is enabled. Without QoS, the router appears to function normally.
If Layer7 rules are used in QoS, this behavior is normal, due to the incorrect implementation of the Layer7 protocol by Eric.
Take a look at
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=8&t=8299

tapper

Post by tapper »

Installed on my c7 and my n750 all working grate. The n750 is running as a bridge.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

L7 is a mess.
It's in my todo list.

I've also experienced a reboot after manually adding a pattern file.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.