Archer C7 v2 - Firmware Version

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

dg_102

Archer C7 v2 - Firmware Version

Post by dg_102 »

Hi,

I just got a new Archer C7 v2 and I noticed that it came with:

Firmware Version: 3.14.3 Build 150520 Rel.44934n

On the TP-Link site the highest version is Archer C7_V2_150427.

Does anyone know where I can get the 150520 before I move to Gargoyle? Just in case I need to revert. I am looking at the Canadian site.

Thank you,

dg

martinlmtl

Re: Archer C7 v2 - Firmware Version

Post by martinlmtl »

Same problem for me. I've search all tp-link's website for this firmware and it's not available.

dg_102

Post by dg_102 »

I did search and I found that this link:

http://www.tp-link.com.my/download/Arch ... l#Firmware

has the exact version that I was looking for except it is for Malaysia. Also the US side has a newer version:

http://www.tp-link.us/download/Archer-C ... l#Firmware

I did the upgrade and it was smooth, no problems for far.

dg

martinlmtl

Post by martinlmtl »

I opened a ticket at tp-link website about getting a copy of this firmware (canadian version).

martinlmtl

Post by martinlmtl »

I've got an answer from TP-Link. This is what they told:

Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.

I cannot found software version of 150520 in our database. I suggest you to use the firmware 150427 on our official website.

dg_102

Post by dg_102 »

That would imply that our routers were destined for another country not Canada, even though it has the (CA) tag.

Strange that they can not find the firmware, :lol: see my link above for the version but not country.

I did install gargoyle and it was fine.

martinlmtl

Post by martinlmtl »

I asked more info as the mention "not exist" is really strange. This is the communication between us.

> What you are saying is very surprising because I can confirm the installed firmware is really version 3.14.3 build 150520 (CA) and this router was bought brand new from Amazon.ca (plastic wrapped). It's very surprising to know this firmware isn't supposed to exists. Are you saying Tp-Link are selling brand new routers with firmware coming from nowhere? If it's the case, an investigation would be needed to be sure no one is putting miscellaneous firmware in these routers. These days, we must be very careful about security.
>
> And are you sure telling me to downgrade firmware to an older version (official release) is the right thing to do? As far as I can say from what you answered, there is something which isn't logical here.
>
> Please can you check again with your supervisor and come back with a plausible answer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your valuable reply.

I have check with the senior engineer. There won't be a security problem with this software. The firmware version is different because of the production batch. The firmware on tp-link website and database is for upgrading. So the 150520 cannot be found.
If you are still worry about the security, you can upgrade the firmware to the version 151014.

Best Regards
----------------------------------------------
Rachel Li
TP-LINK Technical Support