QoS on/off from command line

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

adix

QoS on/off from command line

Post by adix »

Hi,
I would like to cron enable/disable my QoS ruleset so that its only enabled and effective during certain hours of the day.

Anyone know how to facilitate this while keeping nice with the front end? Failing that, how to do it without keeping nice.

Thanks

nworbnhoj

Re: QoS on/off from command line

Post by nworbnhoj »

Playing nicely with Gargoyle front end is a bit involved. The command set is constructed in www/js/qos.js from about line 55
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

guyso

Post by guyso »

Hi adix

I had some similar needs awhile ago and worked out how to use cron to change the QoS threshold limits and restart the QoS process. I am sure there would be a command you could use instead of the restart command to actually switch QoS on or off. Lantis was incredibly helpful to me and he or others may be able help with the enable/disable command.

As an alternate approach you may be able to use the commands I used and set the QoS limit really high at a certain time of the day which I think would effectively disable it anyway, and return it to your normal level when you need QoS enabled. Others may comment on whether this will work or not.

If you read the posts at the following location you should get all the info you need. Worked 100% for me. I hope the link works as I have never tried to put a link in a post before.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =12&t=7445

Hope this helps.
Netgear WNDR3700 v1 and v2 and v4
Linksys WRT1900ACS

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Sometimes you get lucky

Lantis many time goes above and beyond .............................

adix

Post by adix »

guyso wrote:Hi adix
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =12&t=7445

Hope this helps.

This thread is great, and is at least a good workaround for me as i can easily highball the config during the day and constrict for the evening.

Not at the computer now, but will look into this, great headstart, thx all for the replies.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you're stuck still in a few days I'll add more details.

I'm using the long weekend to change the gearbox in my car and haven't sat at a computer for 3 days :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

adix

Post by adix »

OK so I had a quick look.

Without worrying about the interface it appears all I would need to do is execute /etc/init.d/qos_gargoyle stop|start

To keep the frontend intact eg the 'Enable Quality of Service (Download Direction)' tick box - I would need to remove the /etc/rc.d/S50qos_gargoyle symbolic link, or just /etc/init.d/qos_gargoyle disable

Not sure if I would need to restart the firewall or if qos_gargoyle stop|start is enough for it all to take effect - cant test right now.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

My thoughts are to restart the firewall as well, but I can't tell whether it is necessary.
I don't believe start and stop do it for you.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.