problems with upgrade to 1.3.4

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

throughwalls

problems with upgrade to 1.3.4

Post by throughwalls »

I have a WRT54G v2 which used to have DD-WRT. I upgraded it yesterday using the DD-WRT gui to the new 1.3.4

The reflashing seemed initially to have worked, but I have two (related?) major problems that I have subsequently found.

Problem 1: When I power on the router, it ignores the cable-connected Windows laptop. No matter how long I wait, the laptop does not get an IP address. When I move the Cat5 cable to another of the four router Ethernet sockets, I then get my DHCP lease.

Problem 2: I can log into the Gargoyle 1.3.4 gui using the default “password”. But once I am in, I am unable to change any of the settings. Or rather I can change them, then click the “Save Changes” button, but nothing is actually changed. I can not change the default password, or the router name, or turn on wireless.

I suspect there may be some old configuration left over from DDWRT which is messing everything up. How can I reset everything to “virgin configuration bits” and start from scratch?

I should mention that I am already running Gargoyle 1.2.3 on another router, and I find the UI so refreshingly nice compared to any other consumer grade router GUI. Great work!

pbix
Developer

Re: problems with upgrade to 1.3.4

Post by pbix »

Hi,

Sorry you are having some issues with Gargoyle.

Your first problem does not sound so un-typical. If you unplug your LAN wire from your laptop and then plug it back in your should get an IP address. Windows has to request the address from Gargoyle. By disconnecting the cable you trigger windows to ask for an address. This is sometimes not needed if the old IP address is in the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Your second problem I have not really seen. Once you login with "password" you should immediately be prompted to set a new password. It is then necessary to go again to 192.168.1.1 and re-login with the new password. I suspect that your changes are not being saved because you are not actually logged in.

That's my two cents, maybe others have some ideas.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

pbix wrote:Your second problem I have not really seen. Once you login with "password" you should immediately be prompted to set a new password. It is then necessary to go again to 192.168.1.1 and re-login with the new password. I suspect that your changes are not being saved because you are not actually logged in.
I am prompted for the new password (and time zone). I type those in, press "Save Changes", I get the swirling-busy animation, but the changes are NOT saved.

tamckinnon

Post by tamckinnon »

I'm also having the exact same problem on a WRT54g v2.2

I was able to do a 30/30/30 and roll back to ver 1.2.4

Unable to save any passwords, timezone, QoS, ssh.. you name it

rohan

Post by rohan »

Hey,

I was having the exact same issues with version 1.3.4 with the saving of settings. even complete reflashes of the router did not help. This was also a Linksys 54g.

I ended up moving back to version 1.3.3 and this fixed all these issues.

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

tamckinnon wrote:I'm also having the exact same problem on a WRT54g v2.2

I was able to do a 30/30/30 and roll back to ver 1.2.4
Does Gargoyle respond to a 30/30/30 in general? From prior experience, I thought it did not. Do you have a link to a documentation page on this?

In any case, I already have the default settings, so 30/30/30 might not visibly change things for me. But maybe it clears a hidden setting that is causing problems....