Gargoyle 1.6.X x86 generic image

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

norman

Re: Gargoyle 1.6.X x86 generic image

Post by norman »

@ dpint

THX man

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

I have a problem with x86 latest build from your site, I cannot run ipset, it says kernel doesnt match.

Can you build one that includes the package ipset and associated or tell me how you compiled it? I have compiled ar71xx previously on linux, so I know the basics, just don't know the source and if there are any tricks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It's the same process as ar71xx.
Probably do a make custom so you get the correct packages.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Lantis wrote:It's the same process as ar71xx.
Probably do a make custom so you get the correct packages.
Yeah its not so straight forward. The default custom goes to ar71xx giving errors. I'm kind of confused, why cant there be an x86 .config profile? I tried to copy/backport the openwrt one, but no interfaces show up. ARGH, frustrating in how there is very little consistency between linux apps, for example, openwrt build env vs gargoyle and so on.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

make custom
Should bring up a menu, the same as make menuconfig does in openwrt.
Then you select the target and the packages.
It IS that straightforward. If it isn't, there's something wrong on your end.

when you come up with a working config, you should share it for others and then we will have an x86 config :) that's how community development works.

If you have more specific questions you may find more answers at the openwrt forums. Not many people here have built that platform.
I did it once and the image built correctly but the guy who wanted to test it never came back.
No I don't have the image anymore.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Lantis wrote:make custom
Should bring up a menu, the same as make menuconfig does in openwrt.
Then you select the target and the packages.
It IS that straightforward. If it isn't, there's something wrong on your end.

when you come up with a working config, you should share it for others and then we will have an x86 config :) that's how community development works.

If you have more specific questions you may find more answers at the openwrt forums. Not many people here have built that platform.
I did it once and the image built correctly but the guy who wanted to test it never came back.
No I don't have the image anymore.
That's the problem, why isn't anyone sharing a simple generic config? I just built one with e1000 and other lan drivers only to get jack squat. Annoyed and tired of waiting, I will probably try pfsense instead. It's so stupid that this build environment isn't consistent or has a simple faq!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'm not sure I understand.
Can you please provide pictures of what you're doing and what your complaint is? Because it works perfectly for me.

Here's the gargoyle documentation for the dev environment
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... umentation

If you need more than that, you need to go to Openwrt wiki's (which admittedly are written awfully), and then ask specific questions.

Again, if you feel a piece of knowledge or know how is missing, figure it out, and then contribute. That is how the project grows and gets better.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Before I just built a package on generic and the interface was not showing eth0 or eth1 despite using virtualbox with intel and or amd nic which worked fine in the pre built.

So now I removed gargoyle, git clone, and make custom, set up again, making sure to have e1000 and the amd net drivers.
Now I get another error, qosmon recipe failed. See how annoying it is getting, a different error- and I didnt change things. Can you post a .config for us to use???

Code: Select all

tc_core.c:(.text.tc_calc_size_table+0x0): multiple definition of `tc_calc_size_table'
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/iproute2-full/iproute2-4.0.0/tc/tc_core.o:tc_core.c:(.text.tc_calc_size_table+0x0): first defined here
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/iproute2-tiny/iproute2-4.0.0/tc/tc_core.o: In function `tc_core_init':
tc_core.c:(.text.tc_core_init+0x0): multiple definition of `tc_core_init'
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/iproute2-full/iproute2-4.0.0/tc/tc_core.o:tc_core.c:(.text.tc_core_init+0x0): first defined here
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/iproute2-tiny/iproute2-4.0.0/tc/q_hfsc.o:(.data.hfsc_qdisc_util+0x0): multiple definition of `hfsc_qdisc_util'
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/iproute2-full/iproute2-4.0.0/tc/q_hfsc.o:(.data.hfsc_qdisc_util+0x0): first defined here
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/iproute2-full/iproute2-4.0.0/lib/libutil.a(utils.o): In function `format_host':
utils.c:(.text.format_host+0x17d): warning: gethostbyaddr is obsolescent, use getaddrinfo() instead.
qosmon.o: In function `main':
qosmon.c:(.text.startup+0x117): warning: gethostbyname is obsolescent, use getnameinfo() instead.
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [qosmon] Error 1
Makefile:21: recipe for target 'qosmon' failed
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/qos-gargoyle'
make[4]: *** [/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/qos-gargoyle/.built] Error 2
Makefile:67: recipe for target '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/qos-gargoyle/.built' failed
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/package/qos-gargoyle'
make[3]: *** [package/qos-gargoyle/compile] Error 2
package/Makefile:193: recipe for target 'package/qos-gargoyle/compile' failed
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src'
package/Makefile:190: recipe for target '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.package_compile' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-i386_i486_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src'
make[1]: *** [world] Error 2
/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src/include/toplevel.mk:181: recipe for target 'world' failed
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/gargoyle/gargoyle/custom-src'

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

again, i'm pretty sure its something on your end that is going wrong.
I just built this, using "make custom", and i made sure the 2 drivers you were after were selected. and ipset. and it worked fine. took 2 hours.

config used:
http://pastebin.com/zNG9D1gP

The images i produced will be available at http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_custom/x86/ in about 5 minutes.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Thank you for your config. With that, I was able to build my router by comparing differences in notepad++.
Your build works too, but I decided to build my own to learn what is needed. You didn't compile ipset with it, but I was able to get it from the opkg update source.

My problem with this make custom business- was that I selected more packages- and the menuconfig environment does not check its own dependencies well, perhaps because it is openwrt based?

I'm also confused why packages like nano, htop, which are buildable in openwrt don't exist in gargoyle. I'm not knowledgeable enough to find out how to include them, so every update I end up installing them as soon as I get online.

So virtualbox settings that I am using for testing:
adapter 1 - internal network, intel pro/1000 mt desktop
promiscuous, allow vms
adapter 2- bridged
to my nic
same intel nic as above.
promiscuous deny

First boot, edit /etc/config/network lan to use 192.168.200.1 or what not, so there isnt a routing issue (especially if your lan uses 192.168.1.x already! Also edit the config/firewall if you want to be able to access gargoyle through your existing network. My port forwards to allow access on the wan interface

Code: Select all

config remote_accept 'ra_443_8880'
        option local_port '443'
        option remote_port '8880'
        option proto 'tcp'
        option zone 'wan'

config remote_accept 'ra_22_8822'
        option local_port '22'
        option remote_port '8822'
        option proto 'tcp'
        option zone 'wan'
Reboot, now you can get the router at it's wan address.

For now, testing on this laptop with a 1.4 Ghz core solo. I plan to use my existing gargoyle router as a vlan switch and also use it's wifi. The cpu in it is too slow to handle 50/50 fiber both ways qos, even overclocked to 800 mhz. I refuse to pay 130+ for a router with 1.2 ghz arm, and a bit more flash memory, lol.