Realtime QoS based on ADSL sync Speed

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Smashing

Realtime QoS based on ADSL sync Speed

Post by Smashing »

I have really a bad DSL connection, my download speed oscillate between 2.8-4.2 mbit, upload is fine. So my network always collapses with 500ms ping whenever someone is downloading at full speed.

I can get sync speed through telnet on my ISP modem, so before wasting anytime, is possible to set a QoS based on my ADSL sync speed?

Lantis

Re: Realtime QoS based on ADSL sync Speed

Post by Lantis »

You would need to write a script to do so. But it is very doable. Not complex. The script would:

initiate telnet to modem
Authenticate
run stats command
parse this data for the sync speed and store it
uci get current QOS speed and compare
uci set uci commit firewall restart if required.

I'd suggest that you would only want this running every hour?
This is because every time it changes you'll need to restart the firewall which will drop connection.
Also when doing a comparison you'd probably look for something like a 5-10% difference otherwise make no chsnge?
Just throwing ideas around.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Smashing

Post by Smashing »

I don't remember how much it takes to restart firewall, but I could monitor through telnet if connection is UP, when it drops wait until the sync speed shows in telnet (or web statsadsl.html).

I just have to check how to set QoS but seems easy. I just want to set Download speed at the rate that my ping does not goes to the roof.

My old WD1043ND I think can handle that lightweight script.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think you'll find it will be quite easy and will work reasonably well.

If it does, you might like to write a brief tutorial. Someone will find it useful. :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Smashing

Post by Smashing »

I think this could be useful for anyone with Broadcom DSL Routers.