Router Suggestions

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

WizardTPG

Router Suggestions

Post by WizardTPG »

Hi guys

Firstly let me apologise if this is the wrong place to ask this question or if the information is already available. I did look through several forums and couldn't find the info that I needed.

I am looking at purchasing a router to install Gargoyle on. I have 5 kids and each month the quota is being chewed up faster and faster. Gargoyle's ability to manage quota and have rules to then throttle connections seems to be just the ticket to solve this problem.

I currently have an NBN 50/20 (Fibre) connection and use a FritzBox 7390 router. I have two VOIP phones attached.
Spec sheet for Fritzbox: http://www.fritzbox.com.au/spec_sheet/A ... 1_1306.pdf

I am hoping that someone can make some suggestions as to the best router to be used for my purposes.
Requirements:
- Can connect to NBN modem (Should be an easy one I would think)
- Be fast. Be able to handle 50/20 connection speeds
- Have support for two voip phones
- Have dual band wifi (2.4khz and 5khz) with good range (better than the Fritzbox would be preferable)
- Min of 4 gigabit ethernet ports

Any router suggestions would be great appreciated.

Thanks guys

Lantis

Re: Router Suggestions

Post by Lantis »

Can we get a few more details about the VOIP phones?
How they connect currently? Is it Ethernet? Do they grab their own IP address?

I think we can certainly meet every other requirement, but depending on the VOIP it will either:
1) not be possible
2) require you to keep the Fritz! in the network to service the phones
3) require manual setup on gargoyle through the command line
OR
4) be very easy
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

Hi Lantis

Basically the VOIP handsets just plug into the back of the fritzbox with RJ11 cables. I dont run DECT. (I think they are RJ11??, just the standard RJ phone plug)

My house has cat5e running to several areas throughout the house and office which I use for gigabit networking to media devices and to plug the phone handsets into.
WRT1900ACv1

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

So yeah, basically I am currently connecting standard PTSN handsets into the fritzbox .

I dont mind replacing those handsets with proper voip handsets though as my current handsets are old and the battery is about stuffed in them
WRT1900ACv1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Sorry i'm a little confused.

Your VOIP phones are only connected via Cat5e?
or are they connected to the back of the fritz?

If they just plug in via ethernet, it looks like you could install the Asterisk openwrt package to enable VoIP functionality. Maybe have to configure a few firewall rules as well.
But i'm not willing to give a hard guarantee on any of this sorry!

As for routers, anything with >= 8MB of flash storage.
A fast processor is also a good idea.
I personally use the WNDR3800 which is a great device.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

Probably best to just take the VOIP out of the equation as I will probably just purchase a couple new ip phones which are just ethernet connectable.

Revised Requirements:
- Can connect to NBN modem (Should be an easy one I would think)
- Be fast. Be able to handle 50/20 connection speeds
- Have dual band wifi (2.4khz and 5khz) with good range (better than the Fritzbox would be preferable)
- Min of 4 gigabit ethernet ports

Sorry for the confusion :shock:
WRT1900ACv1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No dramas. It should be fine, but i'll wait for another user, nworbnhoj, to respond to you about the NBN thing because i believe he is already on the NBN. I sadly, am not lol.

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

The WNDR3800 looks interesting (and a lot cheaper than what I was thinking).

Because I like to future proof my IT I generally like to purchase gear that is above current spec and then it lasts me for a long time.

What is the highest spec router you can think of that has been proven to work with gargoyle? (especially in regards to wifi)
WRT1900ACv1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

WRT1900AC.
More specs than you can poke a stick at.

I've had zero wifi problems, some users do report issues, but the driver is under constant development and improving on a month to month basis.

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

That one looks much better spec-wise.
I have ordered one.
Looking forward to getting this set up.

Thanks for the help
WRT1900ACv1