gargoyle-ispy 2015-October-18 05:57.torrent

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

tapper

Re: gargoyle-ispy 2015-October-18 05:57.torrent

Post by tapper »

bill1228 wrote:Successfully installed Gargoyle 1.9 on my wrt1900ac v1. Seems steady as a rock so far. Only issue I see is the lack of AC wireless support. I think this is because of the version of CC being used has the 10.3.0.3 version of the wireless driver?? There is no option in the UI either, again because of the wireless driver version I assume.

Hopefully Marvel will provide a good driver soon. Seems ridiculous that 1 1/2 years after release they still have not provided a decent driver to the 3rd party devs. By the time they get it right no one will be wanting to buy a Linksys 3rd party supported router due to the history. To bad since that is where it all started.

Enough bitching. In every other respect I am happy with the way my wrt1900ac is performing. Use just the basics, routing, hardwired and wireless client support.

--bill
Thanks for the update. There is people on the forum who have the same box as you so some one mite pop up and let you no how to get AC going.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Hi bill,

we are indeed running the 10.3.0.3 driver, however it is fully (mostly) 802.11ac compliant. It is the gargoyle web interface that lacks the support currently (it's on the todo list).

However once you make your changes on the Connection -> Basic page and are happy, if you edit the wireless config file manually and then restart the wireless it will all work fine.
If you then make a change in the GUI on that page again it will overwrite your settings.

Set your radio0 to "11g" with HT40+ or - to get 802.11bgn on the 2.4ghz radio
And
Radio1 to "11a" with VHT80 to get 802.11nac on the 5ghz radio

Here is a copy of my wireless config file.

Code: Select all

config wifi-device 'radio0'
   option type 'mac80211'
   option channel '11'
   option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
   option country 'AU'
   option hwmode '11g'
   option htmode 'HT40-'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
   option type 'mac80211'
   option channel '149'
   option hwmode '11a'
   option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'
   option country 'AU'
   option htmode 'VHT80'

config wifi-iface 'ap_g'
   option device 'radio0'
   option mode 'ap'
   option network 'lan'
   option disassoc_low_ack '0'
   option ssid 'Gargoyle2.4'
   option encryption 'psk2'
   option key '123456789'

config wifi-iface 'ap_a'
   option device 'radio1'
   option mode 'ap'
   option network 'lan'
   option disassoc_low_ack '0'
   option ssid 'Gargoyle5.0'
   option encryption 'psk2'
   option key '123456789'
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

A quick question, I have a long-ish list of reserved DHCP addresses but am wanting to upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9. Can I ssh into the router, copy the file from /etc that has the DHCP reservations and then overwrite the existing file in 1.9 to easily keep that setup? It's a small step but will save me a lot of work.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

pmerrill wrote:A quick question, I have a long-ish list of reserved DHCP addresses but am wanting to upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9. Can I ssh into the router, copy the file from /etc that has the DHCP reservations and then overwrite the existing file in 1.9 to easily keep that setup? It's a small step but will save me a lot of work.
Yes this approach works by saving and restoring
/etc/hosts
/etc/ethers
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

bill1228

Post by bill1228 »

Lantis, thanks for the reply and the example config. I keep learning more all the time. Right now I am running Openwrt CC 15.05. I managed to mess things up editing the wireless config files when running Gargoyle and trying to get ac working on 5Ghz wireless. Finally got things so that the radio would not enable and figured I needed to reinstall and wanting ac so I decided on CC 15.05. Have had it installed before. I do know from experience that I cannot have firmware with the 10.3.0.10 driver as my Roku and Apple TV drop connections, both Broadcom. Tried Kong's DD-WRT but cannot run his latest due to driver but older seemed to work.
Right now though I keep coming back to Openwrt or a variant, such as Gargoyle. Do like the Gargoyle UI better then LuCi. Hopefully you folks will get the UI fixed up so that the wrt1900ac is fully supported with all the wireless configs.
In the mean time I will probably reinstall Gargoyle and modify the wireless config. The one thing I did not do correctly is I would reboot the router after the changes I made. Now I have learned about the wifi command to use instead of reboot. Am sure rebooting is what broke things.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
Linksys WRT1900ACS V1 standby
Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.

RichMD

Post by RichMD »

I'm currently on DD-WRT Oct 30 build on my Linksys WRT1900AC V1 but the parental controls don't work. My requirements (wants) are fairly simple
1) Stability
2) Reliable decent performance - Stock suddenly gave me very poor performance
3) DHCP reservations -I like to be able to identify all the devices on my network because the list is growing daily it seems...
4) Parental controls that allow me to set certain hours per device at least
5) Some BASIC logging to determine when problems might be ISP/WAN rather than router related

I tried OpenWRT 15.05 but it kept failing every few days requiring a reboot and I don't think there were parental controls.
I saw that I need to manually update the wireless config file for AC support which is not a big deal but will a later reboot cause issues? I will not modify the 5Ghz wireless config via the GUI after it is working. I just don't want reboots to cause issues.

Would 1.9 fit the bill for this list? I don't want to keep flashing beta builds because I really don't want to resort to having to use the TTL/USB cable.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

@RichMD
Gargoyle 1.9 is an experimental version, and still under testing and development.
1) Stability. Gargoyle is reliant on OpenWRT stability
2) Performance. Again reliant on OpenWRT and Gargoyle 1.8 and 1.9 performance lack for very high rate Internet connections, but fine for the rest of us.
3) DHCP reservations. Yes
4) Parental Controls. OpenWRT is often recommended in the forums
5) Basic logging. Yes, but it will log when ISP connection has reconnected but not much about degraded ISP performance. You can monitor ISP performance realtime with QoS functions
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

RichMD

Post by RichMD »

@nworbnhoj
Thanks,
I knew 1.9 was experimental but I was thinking/hoping that it used Openwrt 15.05 as a base and was including experimental fixes on top.
Thanks for letting me know about the lack of high-speed connections since I do want high-speed for my cable connected pcs. WIFI is not a big deal.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

@RichMD

1) Stability, the Gargoyle 1.9.0 firmware is very stable. Particularly on the WRT1900AC. I've never had it crash. Any instabilities reported have had to do with WiFi. The wifi driver for these routers is being continually worked on. The 1.9.0 release uses the 10.3.0.3 driver. I am experimenting with the 10.3.0.14 driver released just the other day and am finding it better, but not quite ready for the prime time, so we stuck with the 10.3.0.3 driver at this stage. This is the same one used in Openwrt 15.05. Gargoyle is based on a later revision of Openwrt than the 15.05 release.

2) See 1. The 1900AC is a hell of a machine and should perform well for years to come. I have not put it through its full paces as i do not have a high speed internet connection. The biggest performance gripe that most people have to WAN throughput. Due to the Hardware NAT processor being disabled, this suffers a major hit, however people are still reporting quite large throughput. Work is being done on this front to increase performance.

3) Absolutely doable.

4) Again absolutely doable.

5) Yes... but you'll need to learn to interpret the logs yourself. It uses the same logging techniques as Openwrt in "logread" command. This log gets filled with irrelevant junk, you just need to learn to read between the lines.

As for manually editing the config for Wireless AC. As long as you don't edit via the GUI after you make the changes then it will survive a reboot no problems.

1.9.0 was just released (see the downloads page).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RichMD

Post by RichMD »

@Lantis
Thanks for your reply and all your hard work. I will try 1.9 later tonight after I reset to stock Linksys via the 3 shut-off process. I figured the wireless AC config would survive reboots but wanted to be sure since I read that one other user had problems after the reboot.
I've used Gargoyle in the past on a netgear and really liked it so I was glad to see the WRT1900AC is now supported (even in beta).

EDIT: I noticed that the DD-WRT builds are around 22MB and this build is >340MB. Since it is over 10X the size, it just made me wonder if this changes much more and would not allow reverting back to stock on partition 1 by using the 3 shutoff process.