ASUS RT-N56U?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Statik

ASUS RT-N56U?

Post by Statik »

Hi all,
I see there was an earlier thread about the above router but there wasn't any real followup. I need to replace my current router and this one seems to be fully supported by OpenWRT since Barrier Breaker so I'm hoping to get my favorite OS, Gargoyle, running on it.
1. Is Gargoyle build on Barrier Breaker now?
2. Can I build an image of Gargoyle that will work? (I see there are no prebuilds in the downloads section)
3. If not, can I install OpenWRT and then put gargoyle on top?

Thanks!
Statik

DoesItMatter

Re: ASUS RT-N56U?

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-n56u

I'd suggest looking for an Atheros (first choice) or
Broadcom (second choice) chipset router

Ralink chipsets are newer supports for OpenWRT and probably
need a lot more testing and development

Tons of development/testing have been done with Atheros chipsets

Broadcom is also good but the newer drivers are closed source
which means there will always be some limits to drivers

Could be a while for RT-N56U to be stable under Openwrt/Gargoyle
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Statik

Post by Statik »

I would have loved to have had the option of an atheros chipset router. Unfortunately, all of the routes immediately available to me that were both in my pricerange and we on the supported list for OpenWRT were not atheros. I had no time to wait for mailorder. Which is unfortunate since the dlink dir-835 was available for $30 less.

That said, the Asus seems fast and stable under openwrt. The default software didn't recognize my ext4 media drive so openwrt had to go on. Is there a way to add gargoyle to this now? I miss some of the configuration options I use.

Statik

Statik

Post by Statik »

With the new Breaker Barrier based Gargoyle, is it possible to build a version for the ASUS RT-N56U? I don't mind doing the building and testing if its possible to build.

Statik

maphew

Post by maphew »

Yes please! I have this router now, and am in strong need of per-user bandwidth usage reporting like Gargoyle provides. I'm willing to spend a great deal of time testing, if that's helpful.

I can also throw a linux machine (ubuntu 15) at building, if it's pure processing power/time that's needed. I'm not a programmer and wouId be of limited to no use in putting together or debugging the build scripts. ;-)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

This device is of the Ramips family which currently isn't being built for gargoyle.
It is possible to add them, it is just less straight forward. I undertook the task of adding a new family of devices not too long ago and it's not overly difficult just time consuming.

You could attempt this yourself, otherwise I'm available to try it in December.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.