Daily Quota usage based on overal time

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

GordonG

Daily Quota usage based on overal time

Post by GordonG »

Hi

I tried to search the feature requests but maybe I've overseen this one. If yes I apologize for spamming.

I configured for all my son's devices a quota based on total bytes consumed per day.

What I'm missing is a quota based on the overal time spend in internet with all devices.

I do not want to block Internet access e.g. before 5 a.m. and after 8 p.m... more or less I'm looking for the rule to be on internet 2hours/day and after that blocking access. It should be configurable according to the existing quota that I can apply several IPs to one rule.

Is that something yet integrated or on the roadmap?

Thx in advance
- TP-Link Archer C7 v2, Gargoyle 1.8.0, language english - not native

tapper

Re: Daily Quota usage based on overal time

Post by tapper »

Hi mate this will help you.

Bandwidth quotas are a powerful feature unique to gargoyle that allow you to set a maximum on the total amount of data transferred over your network, or to a specific set of IP addresses on your local network, or both. When the quota is reached, you can specify whether you want to completely cut off internet access, or whether you want to throttle the connection to a slow speed.
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=quotas
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

GordonG wrote:What I'm missing is a quota based on the overall time spend in internet with all devices. I do not want to block Internet access e.g. before 5 a.m. and after 8 p.m... more or less I'm looking for the rule to be on internet 2hours/day and after that blocking access.
Gargoyle cannot do this - but I remember it from my childhood (1hr TV/day). I think that it would be useful to many parents.
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

GordonG

Post by GordonG »

Hi Tapper

thanks for your reply. This daily quota is set for my son. Means 1 GB/day and after that Internet connections drops.

But the feature request is another. As nworbnhoj explained - additionally I'm seeking for something like a quota for my son: after 2 hours/day --> internet usage drops. That's what I would find usefull.

We have many advises for parents how long children should use computers/TV/handy per day according to their age and many parents are searching for such a solution.
Children and teens should engage with entertainment media for no more than one or two hours per day - See more at: https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and- ... 2DWcl.dpuf

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I understand the idea, but I don't see a way of doing so.
It's a problem of measuring time. For a continuous service like a stream, not too hard. For a discrete time signal, duration means nothing, so now you're trying to measure the difference between two discrete downloads.
But what if they view 1 webpage and then wait 2 hours and view another one? The difference between those is 2 hours and therefore their limit has expired even though they have only been actively using it for 5-10 minutes.
One solution would be to define the first download as the beginning of a 15 minute window, and any downloads inside that are ignored.
Again, if they do 1 thing, they need 30 seconds on google for some homework, then they have used 15 minutes of their allowance instantly.

I think your best solution is going to be a combination of the available time restriction function as well as old fashioned parenting.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

as well as old fashioned parenting.
Preach it brother

:)

GordonG

Post by GordonG »

Hi Lantis

I'm with you....old fashioned parenting is a good solution....talk to your kid...it's worth to do so :lol:

Nevertheless an approach would be to measure the time of "Hosts with active connections" maybe or to check the Bandwitch Usage Table. This data is stored, isn't it?

With the connected host you would grant children a dedicated time to use the computer - either by using internet or not. But after reaching out the quota every internet based connection would drop. Because of so many apps requiring online connection (multiplayer etc) or just authentication against a player store it would drop and the child would ask for help. And at that point....oh...communication....

With the Bandwith usage you would narrow down it directly to real internet connection. But for me the connected host would be sufficient.

Maybe it's worth to think down this road. But it's only a suggestion.

All over I have to say thanks to all of you folks who investeted private time developing such a cool solution.
Last edited by GordonG on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

it's something i might look at doing at the end of the year once i knock over this pesky university thing i've been plagued with ;)

But thanks for the suggestion.

And please hang around. People with great ideas should really stay on these forums and help contribute.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

GordonG

Post by GordonG »

Lantis wrote: once i knock over this pesky university thing i've been plagued with ;)
my parents always said (translated)....you are not learning for me, you're learning for your life :lol:

tarbasd

Post by tarbasd »

Is there any progress on this?

I would even be satisfied if the user would have to manually disconnect wifi (or put the phone into airplane mode), or perform some action manually to stop the timer.

Old fashioned parenting is great, but sometimes it doesn't work...