1.7.1 How to diagnose bootloops (cause of reboot)

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

slvrsi

1.7.1 How to diagnose bootloops (cause of reboot)

Post by slvrsi »

Hi,

I have Gargoyle 1.7.1 installed and it works fine for about 2 weeks or so. afterwards however, it seems to go into an infinite boot loop. it starts up and then about after 2 - 3 minutes it reboots...

running dmesg just before doesnt show anything interesting it seems. anyone know which logs or what i can do to see what is causing these boots.

router worked great on 1.6; the 1.7.1 is a fresh install without any settings brought over. seems to occur 2 other routers with the same build as well.

Thanks.

Lantis

Re: 1.7.1 How to diagnose bootloops (cause of reboot)

Post by Lantis »

Are you using 1.7.1 official or the latest iSpy build? There was a reboot bug fixed a few weeks ago.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

slvrsi

Post by slvrsi »

I'll take a look. Thanks.

psycik

Post by psycik »

I seem to have the same problem. On 1.7.1 with a wr1043nd. Basically it's being used as an access point only at the moment. But after a couple of weeks I notice it in an infinite loop.

Has there been a solution to this yet? I wasn't too keen on beta/alpha builds or should I revert to 1.6?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is fixed in the build linked above.
There aren't too many problems that are being reported.
If you aren't comfortable with "beta" builds, then yes going back to 1.6.2 is a good idea.
Because technically 1.7.1 is considered "experimental" anyway, you might as well go to 1.7.X ;)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

2Tall

Post by 2Tall »

After approximately 45 days without any problem with 1.7.1 running on my WDR3600, I added an access restriction to the firewall to block a remote IP address. That's when I first encountered this "bootloop" problem. Even after having removed the rule, the problem continued. The typical memory usage was still reported around 20%. The only way that I could keep the router from rebooting was by removing the WAN connection to my cable modem. Based on other previous posts to this forum, I found that the bootloop was stopped by deleting the bandwidth usage data.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

This problem is fixed in 1.7.2. :)

You are 100% correct about the cause and workaround.