Transmission installed and running on 1.7.1

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

griftopia

Re: Transmission installed and running on 1.7.1

Post by griftopia »

I have a question. I believe transmission has option to specify blocklists. If I was running transmission on the router, I'm assuming if I am able to specify blocklist, it will use it. Is this correct? And if so, where do I specify the blocklist urls?
ISP Provided Router [Irrelevant]
WD MyNetN750 Client Bridge - Garygoyle @ 5.0Ghz Yes !!!

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

griftopia wrote:I have a question. I believe transmission has option to specify blocklists. If I was running transmission on the router, I'm assuming if I am able to specify blocklist, it will use it. Is this correct? And if so, where do I specify the blocklist urls?
I think you can add blocklists directly in the settings.json file but I'll check a bit later to make sure?

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

CarpeNoctem wrote:
griftopia wrote:I have a question. I believe transmission has option to specify blocklists. If I was running transmission on the router, I'm assuming if I am able to specify blocklist, it will use it. Is this correct? And if so, where do I specify the blocklist urls?
I think you can add blocklists directly in the settings.json file but I'll check a bit later to make sure?
You are correct. There is a setting for this. I'm going to research some more this weekend. Need to figure out usb formatting, file partitions, swap partitions, latin, greek, mandarin...

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

griftopia wrote:
CarpeNoctem wrote:
You are correct. There is a setting for this. I'm going to research some more this weekend. Need to figure out usb formatting, file partitions, swap partitions, latin, greek, mandarin...
Lemme know if I can be of any help, I'll gladly assist you to the best of my knowledge.

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Thanks much for the offer. Right now though I'm trying to figure out why my 64GB usb stick will not mount. I have a 32GB that will mount. Both are Sony and from the same "family". There is nothing wrong with the 64GB stick and it is formatted same way as the first one was in windows.

I asked in the Hardware/Installation folder what is the largest stick that has worked for people but no one has responded so far. I cannot believe there is a 32GB limit since WD N750 document alleges one can connect WD external USB drives and they work. Of course those would be powered drives, but still I can't believe there is a GB limit for non-powered USB drives. Unless someone finds me some docs that says it does.

After that I'll need to figure out how to create following partitions on usb stick(s)
SWAP
DATA with below folders
"apps" = apps such as transmission (anything besides unix OS utilities)
"torrent" = for transmission to spy and load torrent
"download" = where downloads are stored
"share" = where I will copy files to from "download".

Or maybe have a small USB stick e.g. 512MB on which I have SWAP partition and DATA partition with "apps", and then second larger USB stick with DATA partition again, now with "torrent", "download" and "share".

Finally I will use SFTP using WinSCP on Windows to copy torrent files to "torrent" and take from "download" or move to "share" e.g. file server.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Are you certain its legitimately 64GB? Have you ever written 64GB to it and recovered it without corruption? There are programs that verify this.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Lantis wrote:Are you certain its legitimately 64GB? Have you ever written 64GB to it and recovered it without corruption? There are programs that verify this.
The 64USB stick is fine. IT works as well as my 32USB in my computer on both Linux and Windows. There is nothing wrong with it.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me they have used > 32 GB stick in the WD N750, else I got nothing.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

your answer kind of dances around my question but ok.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Lantis wrote:your answer kind of dances around my question but ok.
I don't know how many different ways I can say it. There is nothing wrong with my 64GB stick. Something maybe wrong with my WD N750 inherently, just because I have a defective piece, or the firmware. Unless someone tells me they were able to mount an unpowered USB stick larger than 64 GB I have nothing to go on.

PS. I did try a 1TB powered external USB drive by Seagate. Worked fine.

PPS Anyone can sing. Anyone cannot dance. I don't dance. Against my religion.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

i have sitting on my desk a usb stick that reports itself to windows as 256GB.
its actual size is 8GB.
you can write 256GB to it all day and all night, but when you try to recover that data, it is corrupted, because it doesn't actually exist.
Have you ever written 64GB to it and recovered it without corruption?
you never explicitly answered this question.

upon taking time out of my day to try and find an answer for you, i found a person in a similar situation. his problem happened to be that he had a usb stick that misrepresented its size and that caused these errors.

upon further taking time out of my day to try and find an answer for you, i decided to plug a 128GB (unpowered) harddrive into my router and it mounted without hassles.

and you reward me by taking the time to be "smart" in your answer?
Happy Easter, or is that against your religion also.
:roll: