Version 1.7.1 - Guest Network Support

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

bigdooley

Re: Version 1.7.1 - Guest Network Support

Post by bigdooley »

ispyisail wrote:There is some other crazy stuff going on as well. I haven't got a handle on it yet.

Under certain conditions the WAN port won't connect? There are other reports similar to this as well?

Yes, I had this on my TP-Link TL-WR741N/ND v1. At first, it defaulted to DHCP for the WAN connection which was fine, it got the right address. After a few minutes it lost it and couldn't get another one. I then rebooted and put static address in and it worked fine for about a minute and then lost them. After a reboot it only keeps the WAN connection for about 30 seconds and loses it. I went back to 1.7.0 which does work, but after a while I can't change settings - see my other post.

gendo

Post by gendo »

SirDrexl wrote:Is anyone with a very fast connection (100Mbps+) getting bottlenecked by the BB builds? I was fortunate enough to have my speed increased recently, and I was measuring 110Mbps in AA at Speedtest. In the BB builds I've tried (1.7.0 and 1.7.1, plus another Ispy build or two in between), I get only 86-90Mbps.

The only thing I can figure, unless BB just doesn't play nice with my router (WZR-HP-G300NH), is that maybe the WAN connection is falling back to 100Mbps instead of gigabit, and the reduced speed is from the overhead.
Actually i just noticed that on my wdr 1043 v2 none of my ports are connecting at gigabit but only at 100mbps

Update ignore the above.. had a faulty patch lead.
Last edited by gendo on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

For those of you having issues with Chromecast, like I was, I found out that, since Google DNS servers are hard-coded into the device, the setting "Force Clients to Use Router DNS Servers" was generating collisions and hence, disconnecting the stream.

Once I cleared that option, I tested an 8-hour YouTube playlist without interruptions and following my QoS settings perfectly.

Hope it helps.

Evzen

Post by Evzen »

SirDrexl wrote:Is anyone with a very fast connection (100Mbps+) getting bottlenecked by the BB builds?
Oh yes... and not only by the BB builds, unfortunately...

I've been using Gargoyle for several years on 120Mbit connection with TL-WR1043ND v1 (pretty old revision 1.1!) and it was possible to get full speed actually using different Gargoyle versions over the years.
But no more after upgrading to 240Mbit (UPC CZ)... throughput was the same as before... (with direct connection between cable modem and PC I could get full speed, of course).
I read different reports about WR1043ND v1 max throughput, so I eventually upgraded to TL-WDR4300... but noooo, using Gargoyle, everything was the same using 1.6.2 with the latest updates from http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=6356.

So I went and did some tests with the TL-WDR4300 using different firmwares - stock (HW NAT on/off had absolutely no effect!), Gargoyle and OpenWRT AA/BB/CC.
I simply used a NewsHosting client to download the same binary ~1 GB file using default configs of the different firmwares - just flash firmware, boot router and measure the download speed... no special setups.
Wired 1Gbit network, of course...

And the results are very, uhm, unpleasant... for some reason Gargoyle is VERY slow even comparing to its 'parent' OpenWRT version...

http://www.polenka.cz/grafika/WDR4300_speed_tests.png
UPC broadband 240/20 Mbit
TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 v1.7

andox

Post by andox »

Evzen wrote:
SirDrexl wrote:Is anyone with a very fast connection (100Mbps+) getting bottlenecked by the BB builds?
Oh yes... and not only by the BB builds, unfortunately...

I've been using Gargoyle for several years on 120Mbit connection with TL-WR1043ND v1 (pretty old revision 1.1!) and it was possible to get full speed actually using different Gargoyle versions over the years.
But no more after upgrading to 240Mbit (UPC CZ)... throughput was the same as before... (with direct connection between cable modem and PC I could get full speed, of course).
I read different reports about WR1043ND v1 max throughput, so I eventually upgraded to TL-WDR4300... but noooo, using Gargoyle, everything was the same using 1.6.2 with the latest updates from http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=6356.

So I went and did some tests with the TL-WDR4300 using different firmwares - stock (HW NAT on/off had absolutely no effect!), Gargoyle and OpenWRT AA/BB/CC.
I simply used a NewsHosting client to download the same binary ~1 GB file using default configs of the different firmwares - just flash firmware, boot router and measure the download speed... no special setups.
Wired 1Gbit network, of course...

And the results are very, uhm, unpleasant... for some reason Gargoyle is VERY slow even comparing to its 'parent' OpenWRT version...

http://www.polenka.cz/grafika/WDR4300_speed_tests.png
Did you run those tests after turning of bandwidth monitoring? (/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop)

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Evzen wrote:
... for some reason Gargoyle is VERY slow even comparing to its 'parent' OpenWRT version... http://www.polenka.cz/grafika/WDR4300_speed_tests.png
Really interesting benchmarking - thank you.
I sincerely wish that it was relevent to me; chugging along on a 3G connection at 1MB/s ... (where QOS is a lifesaver). ENVY
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Evzen

Post by Evzen »

andox wrote:Did you run those tests after turning of bandwidth monitoring? (/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop)
No, as I said, I intentionally did not change anyhthing after flashing. I wanted to test the out-of-the-box experience.

However, I did a quick test right now and I can confirm that turning off bandwidth monitoring drastically improves performace!
With 1.6.2 with the latest ispyisail's updates I get stable 29 MB/s, i.e. the same throughput as with stock firmware!
With 1.7.0 and 1.7.1 I get increase from 10 MB/s to ~15 MB/s... we still need the caching patch here...

Thanks for pointing this out! I can get back to Gargoyle then! ;-)
TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 v1.7

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

caching probably won't be back ported. we'll have to wait for CC
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

andox

Post by andox »

Evzen wrote:
andox wrote:Did you run those tests after turning of bandwidth monitoring? (/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop)
No, as I said, I intentionally did not change anyhthing after flashing. I wanted to test the out-of-the-box experience.

However, I did a quick test right now and I can confirm that turning off bandwidth monitoring drastically improves performace!
With 1.6.2 with the latest ispyisail's updates I get stable 29 MB/s, i.e. the same throughput as with stock firmware!
With 1.7.0 and 1.7.1 I get increase from 10 MB/s to ~15 MB/s... we still need the caching patch here...

Thanks for pointing this out! I can get back to Gargoyle then! ;-)
Thank you for doing these benchmarks! :) Hopefully 1.7.2 will increase performance!

Evzen

Post by Evzen »

Lantis wrote:caching probably won't be back ported. we'll have to wait for CC
There are some custom BB builds published in the OpenWrt forum(?) which have caching patch backported.
I wonder if the custom Gargoyle builders like ispyisail, etc. would be brave enough to try building Gargoyle against these sources instead of official BB sources.

For example this is very interesting for me: https://github.com/gwlim/mips74k-barrier-breaker-patch
TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 v1.7