jittery/poor performance while streaming video? (TL-WDR3600)

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

daimoh

jittery/poor performance while streaming video? (TL-WDR3600)

Post by daimoh »

I had a problem with my download quota being almost blown each month, so in my hunt to work out what was happening, I came across Gargoyle. I specifically bought a TP Link TL-WDR3600 to run it, and I've successfully installed it in between my cable modem and my AirPort Extreme. WiFi is turned off - it's running as a wired router / DHCP / NAT box only. There's a network cable running from the AirPort to the TL-WDR3600 (into port 1) and from the WAN port to the cable modem. Those are the only wired connections.

The problem is, when my wife tries to stream video from over the internets, it regularly pauses as though there's insufficient bandwidth. We have a 300Mbps connection, and only since installing this new router have we had any problems. It happens with both YouTube, and our cable providers internet video. While surfing the web doesn't seem that much affected, there is sometimes a delay while waiting for the page to respond. I should mention that the "load average" on the router while streaming video on one device gets up to about 0.5 - is that a lot?

In any case, I've disabled Web tracking (hoping that might help - it didn't) and have come to a dead end. Is there anything else I might try?

The router is a TP Link TL-WDR3600
Running Gargoyle Version 1.6.2
The Cable Modem is a Netgear CG3100d-2 running in wired bridge mode only (I have no choice - the cable provider supplied it).

Any help/suggestions offered most gladly appreciated.

daimoh

Re: jittery/poor performance while streaming video? (TL-WDR3

Post by daimoh »

I put BarrierBreaker onto the WDR3600 last night and experienced no more problems. I can only assume Gargoyle's logging etc. was too much for it - kind of defeats the purpose of my getting the WDR3600 in the first place, but I guess you get that every once in a while.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd gladly hear them.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Gargoyle is currently based on Attitude Adjustment so you should try that and see how it works if you are interested. There is nothing in Gargoyle that would cause the symptoms you describe IMHO. Routers do not "lag" packets.

But other issues like driver problems could be involved but your problem is not commonly reported here. Many people including myself use the WNDR3600.

Still if BB works and AA does not then there is hope for you because in the not so distant future the next version of Gargoyle will be release and it will be based on BB.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

daimoh

Post by daimoh »

Thanks for replying pbix - I will wait until the wife goes out of town before trying with AA again; that will be interesting.

Would there be anything else with my set up that might affect why Gargoyle seemed to be stopping the streams? I don't think they were queued in any way (there was no lag) - the streams just stopped for a period of time (stop for 5-10 seconds every 60-120 seconds).

The network itself is very simple: iPad--wifi-->AirPort Extreme--wired-->WDR3600--wired-->CG3100d-2

drawz

Post by drawz »

Gargoyle runs great on this router. Why not just get rid of the airport wifi and just use what is built into the WDR3600?

Have you considered enabling QOS?

(I personally use OpenWrt Barrier Breaker as I prefer it's QoS system, but Gargoyle's is better than most others).