No 3G config mr3420

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

droidtomtom

No 3G config mr3420

Post by droidtomtom »

I am completely confused. Router is TP-Link tl-mr3420; Modem ZTE MF190 Claro. Stock firmware has no problem with seeing the modem.
Does Gargoyle include USB support built-in? I have seen screenshots showing 3G WAN in the UI.
But I do not see it listed on any of my menus. I only see the wired wan. I have installed Gargoyle versions 1.47, 1.5.2, and 1.5.4. And have reflashed them each 3 times, hoping that it was a flash issue. But it still does not see my 3G modem or USB for that matter.
Thinking I have to install USB packages seperately I have telneted into the cmd line and tried to install them but it keeps running out of memory when I get to usb-serial-data.

Please help and Thanks for the hard working creating an impressive UI.

droidtomtom

Re: No 3G config mr3420

Post by droidtomtom »

Please, anyone with the same router with Gargoyle firmware installed. Should the 3G options show up by default? Or do I have to install separate packages? If so what did you do to get them working?

I have searched everything but can not create a complete picture of what to do or to expect from Gargoyle. We live in Peru doing volunteer work and support ourselves teaching English online. But our DSL (Movistar) is very spotty so we bought a 3G modem from Claro for failover but the factory firmware takes 2 mins to failover which bumps us from class, they only put up with so much. Due to our VISA status and changes to Claros policies they won't sell us a sufficient package to rely solely on 3G.

I have been reading that mwan2 will do seamless failover and would like to try it. It was a big deal to track down a router that had 3G modem support here. Also no matter which version of Open-wrt I use I can't access /etc/config/network won't let me change directory farther than /etc/config.
Thanks all.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I have never myself used the 3G option and was hoping someone with some experience would jump in to help you out. But here are some comment I do have.

Gargoyle v1.5.4 should have all the packages you need to use a 3G modem as a WAN connection. There is a Wiki page on how to do this. Did you read what is there? Also some help on getting it to work.
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=3g Please post your results with these simple tests.

I see that you may need to plug your modem into the USB port and wait a few minutes before the menu items will become visible.

Please look at the of logread and dmesg and post them, there may be clues there.

Now your specific need seems to be automatic failover support. I have never heard of anyone using this with Gargoyle so I am afraid you will have to blaze that trail yourself. There were some posts on it over at openwrt which I assume you read. But you should start by getting the basic 3g WAN operation working first I guess.

One obstacle in your way will be the router you have. While it has adequate RAM(32MB) it has minimal FLASH (4MB). This means there will be very limited room to install new packages. I do not think you should need to install any more packages but I see that the Wiki asks that you install a package to do some diagnostics with. For this you may be able to use the opkg --dest option to install things in RAM so you can use them at least until you reboot. You can use the 'df' command to see how must space you have left in RAM and FLASH.

I cannot explain why you should have any problems editing a file on your router. What does "can't access" mean? We have only one user on the router and that is 'root' which has access to all files. I do not know why attempting to edit this particular file but if you have such issues please post more details. To edit /etc/config/network you change directory to /etc/config and then open the file 'network'. Attempting to change to /etc/config/network does not compute.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

droidtomtom

Post by droidtomtom »

Thanks for responding! Win I get back home this evening I will give your suggestions a try and see what I am doing wrong and report back. Did not know you could install to ram that hopefully will act for me as a work-around. I have left the modem plugged in but never got 3G or UMTS options but I have had trouble using those diagnostic tools.

droidtomtom

Post by droidtomtom »

So far I have had no success.

picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB2
FATAL: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB2: No such file or directory

I have also tried to picocom USB0 through USB8 with this command just to be thorough. The 3G modem light goes from red to green but the LED on the front of the router never lights up, like it does for the stock firmware.

Question: Should I see the USB packages installed by default in stock Gargoyle when a I do "opkg list-installed"? Because they are not listed as installed. Or are they builtin to Gargoyle and don't show up.
I'm going to try reflashing Gargoyle yet again to start from scratch to see if my noob skills didn't mess something up.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I believe the packages you need should be installed. On my router I have the following related modules installed by default.
  • kmod-usb-core - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-ohci - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-printer - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-serial - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-serial-option - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-storage - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb-storage-extras - 2.6.32.27-1
    kmod-usb2 - 2.6.32.27-1
Also by typing 'dmesg' at the the command line I see the following which is logged during boot.
  • SCSI subsystem initialized
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
    usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
    usbcore: registered new device driver usb
    ----
    ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
    ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: Atheros AR91xx built-in EHCI controller
    ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
    ar71xx-ehci ar71xx-ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
    usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice <<usb device noted here.
    hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
    hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected

---
    ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
    USB Serial support registered for generic
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
    usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-alauda
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-cypress
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-datafab
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-freecom
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-isd200
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-jumpshot
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-karma
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-sddr09
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-sddr55
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-usbat
    USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
    usbcore: registered new interface driver option
    option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
    USB Serial support registered for Sierra USB modem
    usbcore: registered new interface driver sierra
    sierra: v.1.3.8:USB Driver for Sierra Wireless USB modems
I suppose it could be that due to your routers lack of FLASH that the Gargoyle image is built without the required modules. You should check.

My router is Buffalo WRZ-HP-G300NH with 64MB RAM and 32MB Flash.

I suppose you have already read http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.essentials
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

droidtomtom

Post by droidtomtom »

Sorry for not getting back. Wrote up a detailed response hit submit walked out of the room and lost it because internet down.

I did two fresh flashes and none of the usb packages were installed. Installing to ram did not work either. I wonder if others who I have read of getting usb to work did it without a GUI?

It was tough finding this specific router but now that I know that Open-wrt can give 3G modem support to any router with a usb port I'm going to see if I can find a different router with more flash space. Or maybe if I get some free time soon I can figure out a way to create a custom image with usb packages now that I installed Linux on my laptop.

Crazy

Post by Crazy »

Same problem here :(
No 3G support on MR3420...

Ysdadsdslo

Post by Ysdadsdslo »

Thank you informed me.
dubli

SwidWin

Post by SwidWin »

Crazy wrote:Same problem here :(
No 3G support on MR3420...
Firmware gargoyle_1.6.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3420-v1-squashfs-factory.bin does not have 3G
(for Flash 4MiB and Ram 32MiB)

as here http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=3g written
To be able to use a 3g with Gargoyle
Your Gargoyle router must have a free USB port.
You need 3g/UMTS USB Dongle
An active account with you 3g provider
Routers with at least 8MB of Flash and 32MB of RAM.
But many users change Flash chip at 16 MB: MX25L12805 or S25FL128PIF

I can buy a chip flash memory (MX25L12805 or S25FL128PIF) and programmed by the programming device.

Where can I download firmware for mr3420 compiled for Flash 16MiB and Ram 32MiB with 3G support? :roll: