Linksys WRT1900ac - Planned Gargoyle Support and Advice

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

propelaheadau

Linksys WRT1900ac - Planned Gargoyle Support and Advice

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi,

Questions (and sorry in advance searched forum however got no hits).

Any one had any experience with the WRT1900ac, if so can it be recommended...gets good reviews.

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT190 ... ewprod.htm

Also as the WRT1900ac is designed\promoted with open firmware in mind will a build of Gargoyle be created to support?

Thanks in advance, any advice\feedback appreciated.....also Gargoyle is kick-arse (but you all know that :D).

n0pin

Re: Linksys WRT1900ac - Planned Gargoyle Support and Advice

Post by n0pin »

I couldn't find any OpenWRT wiki page about this router, but it seems some people already got OpenWRT running on it, which means Gargoyle should run too.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50173&p=17

drawz

Post by drawz »

OpenWrt is not fully functional yet on this device, so I wouldn't hold your breath on Gargoyle support.

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Thanks for the response guys...that's a bugger as I just dropped $295 on one today - guess I'll see how it goes with factory firmware.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi there mate! All is not lost, wen Gargoyle moves to the BB branch of openwrt which is branch now and wont be long i think wthen it mite be ok. then nout is serten. one more thing thay mite back port all the wrt1900 paches to the aa branch then all the devs at Gargoyle wood have to do is bump the version of openwrt in the next release of Gargoyle
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hey Tapper, thanks for the ray of hope.....one can hope the that devs feel that this device is worth supporting.

For any one interested the wrt1900ac is I believe very solid in both look and feel - it does run a little warm.

Factory firmware is very basic but functional - very easy to configure not much there for tweaking.

WiFi is appears to be very stable in both 2.4 and 5GHZ going through plaster and brick in single story house.

Have attached a WD External USB 3, file transfers is great, absolutely no buffering....previously with Buffalo WZR-300HP it just did not cut it with demand, wired or WiFi.

Parental controls are basic with only hour increments - can block sites, network mapping is a nice touch but "fluffy".

Running Gargoyle I believe would take this router to a whole new level.....just my two cent on what I think is a really good router.

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi all,

Question, based on Tapper post (thanks Tapper) in this thread he\she advised that when Gargoyle supports BB branch and with back porting Gargoyle would most likely run\support the WRT1900ac.

Any thought\guidance or opinion if Gargoyle would indeed run on the WRT1900ac and not brick...

Thanks and regards,

Peter

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

There is some openWRT info on the WRT1900AC at
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac
Note the Supported versions table.

There appears to be work in progress at
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50173&p=143
but it seem a ways from finalized ...

Gargoyle 1.7.1 is based on OpenWrt revision r44441
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi pleas dont flash Gargoyle even 1.7.1 it will not work yet! You will have to wate and see if eric will ad support for it sorry i cant tell you more than that as i just dont no what's going on. Over at the openwrt forums there is some people who say that even bb Branch is not stable. the people who are flashing are using custom builds or using the cc branch.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

MrChris

Post by MrChris »

My first post!

Signed up just to find out if you have any more hope for gargoyle on this unit....

It's getting pretty stable. Thanks in advance if you have any new info!

Chris