Barrier Breaker

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pmerrill

Barrier Breaker

Post by pmerrill »

My understanding is that R 1.6.1 uses OpenWRT Altitude Adjustment and not Barrier Breaker. I also understand that OpenWRT Altitude Adjustment does have some wireless issues with TP-Link routers. Two questions:

1. Is this correct?

2. Does anyone know the ETA for Gargoyle to start using Barrier Breaker?
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

pbix
Developer

Re: Barrier Breaker

Post by pbix »

1. Is this correct?
Not really, all Wifi related 'fixes' have been back-ported to AA and are available in the latest Gargoyle v1.6.1. People experiencing WIfi issues should be sure to try that version.
2. Does anyone know the ETA for Gargoyle to start using Barrier Breaker?
I suppose someone over at OpenWRT knows when BB will be released into a stable branch but know one here does.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

pbix wrote: all Wifi related 'fixes' have been back-ported to AA and are available in the latest Gargoyle v1.6.1. People experiencing WIfi issues should be sure to try that version.
Thanks for the info. I understand what you are saying but that's got to mean that AA is, at this time, still experiencing problems. I have tried various incarnations of 1.6.0, 1.6.1 plus some of the periodic builds from ispyisail in Show/Tell/Contribute but no luck on my TP-Link 4300. I was getting dropouts and times when all the wireless clients would fall off the router and I could not get them back even with a reboot..I needed to reflash. I tried many permutations of this to no avail, so am now running on stock again. Sigh :cry:

Stock does have severe limitations, especially with the firewall, but at least the router is rock solid with a good range.

I'll keep watching Show/Tell/Contribute in the hopes that a good roll of the firmware appears.
Paul

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Barrier Breaker is different from Attitude Adjustment though

Much newer kernel and also updated drivers.

Not all of this stuff can be backported - some of it is, but not all.

I found a huge difference running Gargoyle and then running
pure Trunk builds (Barrier Breaker) as far as wireless stability,
strength, uptime, etc. Barrier Breaker is much better for wireless.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

DoesItMatter wrote:Barrier Breaker is different from Attitude Adjustment though. Much newer kernel and also updated drivers.

Not all of this stuff can be backported - some of it is, but not all.

I found a huge difference running Gargoyle and then running
pure Trunk builds (Barrier Breaker) as far as wireless stability,
strength, uptime, etc. Barrier Breaker is much better for wireless.
Understand the difference between the two releases AA vs BB. I also assume that Gargoyle + BB takes some real work by you guys to make it happen. In other words, I can't just download Gargoyle and BB and make an image for my 4300, can I???

Assuming I can't do the compile above, it probably means the Gargoyle Team won't be producing a Gargoyle + BB until there is a stable BB release. Do you have any eta on a stable BB release?

Sounds like you have tried Luci + BB on your routers, what your opinion, good enough to use if you pick the "right" BB release?
Paul