Rebooting or unplugging router restores default config

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

buggers

Rebooting or unplugging router restores default config

Post by buggers »

Using a D-link DIR601 A1 router. I updated the firmware from 1.47 to the latest 1.6. Everything looked good except when I rebooted the router from System> Reboot Now, it restored all settings to default. Since I'm using this router as a wireless AP and almost never need to reboot I figured I can live without the GUI reboot function. When I unplugged the router and moved it back to the other room and tried to connect, it didn't show up in the list of wireless networks. After examining it I realized that merely unplugging the router also resets it. This I can't live with.

Also if I try to Restore Default Configuration from System > Backup/Restore it just messes up the router. I can't connect to it anymore using the default IP.

I've tried using the 1.6 DIR600a1 firmware file as well as the DIR601a1 file and both have the same problems. Afterwards I installed OpenWRT 12.09 just as a test using the DIR601a1 firmware and it did not have this reboot issue. I haven't actually connected online with the router using OpenWRT yet so I don't know if everything is working. I only verified that it doesn't have this reboot problem.

So my questions are, is there a bug with the 1.6 firmware for the DIR601? Are there any substantial bug fixes in the 1.6 firmware that I should need to upgrade from 1.47? I'd rather use Gargoyle instead of OpenWRT for the simpler interface.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to disable DHCP completely in the OpenWRT GUI to use the router as a wireless AP?

edit: nvm I figured out how to disable DHCP. I'm also connected online through this router and OpenWRT and it seems fine. If I can't solve this problem I can just stick with OpenWRT.

DoesItMatter

Re: Rebooting or unplugging router restores default config

Post by DoesItMatter »

The firmware 1.6.0 for Dir600 is too large.

Version 1.5.11 is the only one you should flash on a DIR600/601/615
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

buggers

Post by buggers »

If it's too large why is there even a firmware available to download and install?

I actually did install 1.5.11 after trying 1.6 and something was not right. I was able to login to the router page but a lot of pages where there was supposed to be information or text, it was just blank. For example the Status > Overview page had no information on it. But I only tried the 1.5.11 dir600 file and not the dir601 one so maybe I used the wrong firmware? I read at OpenWRT that the 12.09 beta firmware and later provide separate images for the DIR-601 (Rev.A1) and 1.5.11 is based on 12.09 right?

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

When you flashed to 1.5.11 did you do a reset to defaults?

Re-flash and make sure you do not keep config.

Yes, Gargoyle 1.5.11 and 1.6.0 is based on OpenWRT AA 12.09.

The Gargoyle GUI and some of its modules add quite a bit more space.

Most 4MB flash routers can accept the images.

It's just the DIR6xx models that have a firmware size limit @ 3300KB

I'm running OpenWRT Trunk on my DIR601-A1 and it's solid though
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

buggers

Post by buggers »

I assumed the new firmware would automatically reset to default. I did not keep my config when I flashed.

I was probably supposed to use the Gargoyle DIR601A1 .bin instead of the DIR600A1 for since it's based on 12.09AA, and 12.09 uses separate 601A1 bins. Maybe that was my mistake.

Although the OpenWRT seems to be working well and I'm a little tired of all the flashing so I'll be like you and keep OpenWRT on my router. If I feel like changing I'll keep this mind.

Thanks!

buggers

Post by buggers »

Hey DoesItMatter,

Have you tried the reboot function from OpenWRT's webgui? I did it just now and afterwards I was completely unable to connect to the router through wifi. Unplugging and replugging did not help. I didn't try to investigate because I didn't feel like going through all that crap again so I immediately re-flashed to 1.47 Gargoyle and router is working once more.

I think there's something wrong with the newer version of openwrt. Can you try rebooting from webgui and see what happens?