Bandwidth quota via MAC address?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

NetCake

Bandwidth quota via MAC address?

Post by NetCake »

Howdy,

Does the current version of the firmware support quota management through MAC address? I need to restrict monthly use due to bandwidth caps on a satellite connection but the devices are all mobile so setting static IP's are not an option. I understand I can set the lease time to never expire so the IP won't change but I can see that possible becoming an issue. I don't have a router set up yet and because of time I plan to buy the router that Gargoyle sells, I just need to be sure I can set up the quotas to work correctly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~NC

Asharad

Re: Bandwidth quota via MAC address?

Post by Asharad »

NetCake wrote: the devices are all mobile so setting static IP's are not an option.
You can set static IPs for devices in the gargoyle routers DHCP server. Your mobile devices will still use DHCP, and the gargoyle will handout the same IP every time. It will require a little configuration on your part, by assigning the IP addresses in Gargoyle for every MAC that is on your network.

EDIT... I just noticed how old the original post is. It was bumped by spammers.