TP-Link WR1043NB - bricked?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

IceMolly

TP-Link WR1043NB - bricked?

Post by IceMolly »

Hi,

I need some help, please!

I have installed gargoyle_1.5.3-ar71xx-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-factory.bin onto my new router, hoping that it'd solve the WiFi problem.
(I have first tried the latest factory firmware, but that didn't help, so I tried gargoyle).

It went through the installation fine, said that it has successfully upgraded the firmware, but it failed to reload the page. I have rebooted my PC, no luck, then I waited over 20 minutes and disconnected the power supply of the router. It came back in the same state as it was before: power led on, sys led off, the only other led on is the connection to the PC. I cannot ping it (ofc no telnet either), windows says it's an "Unidentified Network".

I have tried the 30-30-30 reset, it didn't even react until I unplugged the power. The reset button doesn't do anything at all.

The sys led flashes for a split second when I plug it back to the power, but that's all I can get it to do.

Is there anything I can try with it apart from buying a new one?

Every help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

IceMolly

ericwong

Re: TP-Link WR1043NB - bricked?

Post by ericwong »

Have you tried to manually assign an IP to your computer and then try to access the router?

It sounds like everything went correctly. I don't see why it didn't work.

Or try the failsafe
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

Read the section on "OEM installation using the TFTP and RS232 method" if you fix it.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

IceMolly

Post by IceMolly »

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have tried the manual IP thing, but that didn't work. I have also tried the failsafe mode, but the sys led only blinks for a split second after giving it power, and no matter how many times I tried it didn't react to the QSS button at all. It doesn't even react to the reset button.

When I run an ipconfig on my machine, it leaves the default gateway blank. I can't even ping the router.

The problem could have been caused by my subnet! My ISP gave me a modem/router thing (with no bridge mode), but I had a separate router on a different subnet (192.168.3.1), and the modem's IP is 192.168.1.1. When I installed the update, it was plugged in the WAN port, so the IP clash is my suspect for causing the issue.

I have tried the IP change and the pings above with both the 192.168.1 and the 192.168.3 subnets, but neither gave me any different responses.

If that caused the problem, it might be worth letting everyone know to save the others!

(Bit of ranting: Well, if I have to buy another one, so be it, but I'll be buying a different brand! My problem is not at all with gargoyle, but the fact that it's required. If a manufacturer cannot write a working firmware, why would I trust their hardware?)

Any other ideas on what to try or which router to buy? :)

Thanks,

IceMolly

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

I don't think your problem is related to the IP clash. If you had a clash, that would mean you won't be able to transfer the ROM to your target router in the first place or the rom would end up in another router (I had tried that before and end up flashing the wrong router :p...)

Well, sounds like your only option is to recover the router via serial. I had done that before on this router and it can be done if you follow the guides and have the right tools.

Any router that you can find the official gargoyle ROM would be recommended if you are buying another one.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi why did you flash gargoyle_1.5.3? wen were on gargoyle_1.5.11 anyway try and get a ping from the router and then tftp the new FW to the router.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

IceMolly

Post by IceMolly »

Thanks again!

There was no clash before the firmware update, and the other is a cisco, so I was sure on which I was installing on. The "Gargoyle defaults" section on the download page made me think that it changed the IP to 192.168.1.1

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to do the serial connection with, although it sounds like a very exciting thing to do :(

I used 1.5.3 because I read someone's post on this forum on the same router confirming that that works 100% for them, but the next few versions don't. I was also a bit afraid of non-factory firmwares, so I wanted to be sure I only had to do it once. Well, it didn't work :) I don't think it's the firmware's fault TBH.

Thanks for your help on this!

IceMolly

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

IceMolly wrote: There was no clash before the firmware update, and the other is a cisco, so I was sure on which I was installing on. The "Gargoyle defaults" section on the download page made me think that it changed the IP to 192.168.1.1
IceMolly
Are you trying to connect to your Gargoyle router while it is connected to nothing but your computer? If so, there will be no clash. You can change the IP address after you get into the admin interface.

Please make sure you have nothing else connected to Gargoyle but your computer to get into the admin interface.

If there was no clash while you were updating the router, I don't see any problem with the update process.
Eric Wong

IceMolly

Post by IceMolly »

Yes, that's how I tried after the upgrade. My PC was the only thing connected (and the power :))

The modem/router was only connected when I updated the firmware. So the clash could have been present. I have changed the IP before the update and that worked ok. Of course, the WiFi was useless then.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

IceMolly wrote:Yes, that's how I tried after the upgrade. My PC was the only thing connected (and the power :))

The modem/router was only connected when I updated the firmware. So the clash could have been present. I have changed the IP before the update and that worked ok. Of course, the WiFi was useless then.
Well, serial would be the only way to recover then.
There is no guarantee that you won't brick a new router and you might still need to recover it via serial ;)
Eric Wong