gargoyle ftp login problem

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

ericwong

gargoyle ftp login problem

Post by ericwong »

Hi,

I have installed 1.5.10 firmware onto my gargoyle router and I am trying to setup an ftp server on it.

I can login and write to it successfully if I allow anonymous login.

However, I am unable to login at all if I try to put in some username/password into it.

Code: Select all

Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220 ftp server ready
Command:	USER test
Response:	530 Permission denied.
Error:	Could not connect to server

Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220 ftp server ready
Command:	USER backup
Response:	331 Please specify the password.
Command:	PASS ********
Response:	530 Login incorrect.
Error:	Critical error
Error:	Could not connect to server
I think there is something wrong with the password saved into the router through the gargoyle admin interface but I am unable to figure out how to check or change the password using SSH/SCP or where the password file is physically located on gargoyle.

Can someone give me some pointers?

FYI, I have the same problem via SMB too.. I simply can't get in using any password configured in gargoyle.

Btw, does anyone using 1.5.10 Official build Gargoyle firmware able to login gargoyle ftp with username/password? (I am using a custom build which is equivalent to 1.5.10...)

Thanks
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

lceron80

Re: gargoyle ftp login problem

Post by lceron80 »

hi. i am able to login to my ftp server via filezilla and web browser. i can also login to my samba share via pc when discovered in my network. can i help you in any way?

are you using an advanced program such as scp or putty?
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

lceron80 wrote:hi. i am able to login to my ftp server via filezilla and web browser. i can also login to my samba share via pc when discovered in my network. can i help you in any way?

are you using an advanced program such as scp or putty?
Yes, I can use SCP or putty to change the configuration if I know where the files are... and/or the command I need to use.
I assume you are running 1.5.10 Gargoyle firmware?
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

lceron80

Post by lceron80 »

yes i am running 1.5.10 with success.

my question is are you having issues only using scp/putty? or are you having issues using as an example ftp://192.168.1.1 or filezilla? or whatever ftp program that you use?
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

lceron80 wrote: my question is are you having issues only using scp/putty? or are you having issues using as an example ftp://192.168.1.1 or filezilla? or whatever ftp program that you use?
I have no problem using scp/putty..
My only problem is using ftp when username/password is used to login. Annoymous works fine.
I use filezilla.
Eric Wong

lceron80

Post by lceron80 »

i also use filezilla for transferring files to and from ftp server. can i see an image of your usb storage page?
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

lceron80 wrote:i also use filezilla for transferring files to and from ftp server. can i see an image of your usb storage page?
I believe my configuration is correct though..
The shared user I added can be found in the underlying configuration files.

Yesterday, I have tried using vsftpd on Openwrt, same revision as the one I use for Gargoyle build. Login works fine there using the root login.

On gargoyle, I can't login ftp using the root login even though I have verified that the required setting,

local_enable=yes
is already in the default configuration

Can you login to ftp using root login on gargoyle?

The exact gargoyle revision I am using is

Gargoyle revision 62b7660
This contains newer patches compared to the actual 1.5.10 release. However, I don't see any changes related to shared user or ftp which may be related to my problem..
Eric Wong

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

You need to configure the login users for ftp on the usb_storage page. Only those users will be permitted to login -- root login is not permitted.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Eric wrote:You need to configure the login users for ftp on the usb_storage page. Only those users will be permitted to login -- root login is not permitted.
I did setup the ftp shared user login on the USB storage page...

I have also tested Gargoyle Official build 1.5.10 on TP-link TL-WR1043ND and I can see ftp login works fine there...

I still have no clue why my custom gargoyle build didn't work.
Eric Wong

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

In case anyone is doing the same thing, when I build gargoyle 1.5.10 for rt305x, I am forced to use AA, r36469 due to this bug: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/13532

I believe my ftp login problem is related to the fact I am using older revision of AA while using latest gargoyle.

As this bug is fixed recently, I tried rebuilding it using latest AA, r37034 but there is some compile error and I can't build successfully. (there is still some bugs on rt305x in the latest revision, r37034)
Eric Wong