OpenVPN issues

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

nieroster

OpenVPN issues

Post by nieroster »

Hello,

if I activate the OpenVPN server on my WNDR3700 using Gargoyle 1.5.9 the internet connection seems to get unstable, no matter if a client is connected to the VPN or not. Internet connectivity comes and goes, seems as if something is restarting over and over. My Siemens VoIP phone for instance cannot connect anymore to the provider correctly, webpages are not accessible...

Another issue: If I deactivate the OpenVPN server and reactivate it again it tells me that the port is already in use: "OpenVPN server port conflicts with port redirected to router". I have to change the port and afterwards change it again to get the original configuration activated.

Regards,
nieroster

nieroster

Re: OpenVPN issues

Post by nieroster »

I did a "Restore default settings" and manually entered the complete configuration again except the OpenVPN server configuration, leaving the VPN server deactivated. Everything seemed to work fine.

After saving this working configuration I activated the VPN server. This time I did not choose the option "Clients Use VPN For: All Client traffic" and it seemed to work for a while. I could access the internet from a VPN client, I could connect to another PC using remote desktop connection via the VPN. But the it seemed to get unstable again: my NAS was not reachable via VPN although I did configure "Allow clients to access hosts on LAN". Another strange thing: when connecting the VPN from a client PC the name resolution on this PC seems to fail if I do not add "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" to the client configuration file generated by the router. I only configured the local net to be "behind the VPN server" so why doesn't it access the internet bypassing the VPN?

When I choose "Clients Use VPN For: All Client traffic" it gets even worse. After a while all connections seem to fail, local network connections as well as internet connections. Whereas internet connections seem to fail because of the name resolution I have no idea why local connections using the bare IP addresse failed too. After restarting the router I had only a small time window to access the Router Management Utility to deactivate OpenVPN again.

Did anybody succeed in running the OpenVPN server without troubles? Would be nice if anybody else could share her/his experience in this respect.

Regards,
nieroster

nieroster

Post by nieroster »

Is there anybody out there?

nieroster

Post by nieroster »

It seems to work a lot better with the new version 1.5.10!

The only thing I still did not manage to do is access an smb share via VPN although I am able to access a PC via RemoteDesktop over VPN. Is there some filtering applied regarding the traffic via VPN?

Any ideas?

excelsi

Post by excelsi »

Hi,

exactly this issues nieroster describes i have again also in version 1.5.10 after it works very well some time with OpenVPN in this version.
These are very strange things at all...
Sombody also still have problems with OpenVPN in this version and also maybe the same we have here?

Regards
Michael

nieroster

Post by nieroster »

Mine works o.k. with 1.5.10 now.

The only thing I had to add was the DNS option to access anything outside the local network:

dhcp-option DNS openVPN-Server-IP

Regards,
nieroster

excelsi

Post by excelsi »

At my side still problems with OpenVPN.
After some time working the OpenVPN Server says "Not Running" after router restart. If i want to "Save Changes" to get it back running again it will be answered with this port conflict error message you also had before. So i changed the port from 1194 to 1195 and after apply the changes it seems running again but then my internet connection get stability problems so i restarted the router again. But after restart again the same prolbems from the beginning (See in the attachment) :|
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 10487 times

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

What is the version of your Gargoyle?

When you first applied the OpenVPN, did you waited for the server to come up correctly?

Try to reset the router and start over and wait the 5 to 10m when setting up the OpenVPN server.
Proud owner of Gargoyle in
  • Tp-Link TL-WR1043N
  • Tp-Link TL-WDR3600
  • Linksys WRT1900ACS

excelsi

Post by excelsi »

The version of Gargoyle is 1.5.10
Also after some time waiting the OpenVPN Server is not running.
Yes i tried also to reset the router and wait 5-10 minutes at the for the confiugration take over like it stands in the message. At the moment no changes.

ErickEY

Post by ErickEY »

faced the port conflict issue. Here is the solution:
remove:
1. folder: /etc/openvpn
it'll be re-created as if you enabled vpn server for the first time
2. the 'ra_openvpn' section in the /etc/config/firewall file

When you reload web interface, your vpn server will be disabled and you will be able to re-setup it from scratch.
Archer C7v2 on 1.12.x (Mar 20)