Wifi not recovering

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic

Wifi not recovering

Post by Psychic »

I have a Linksys WRT160NL with Gargoyle 1.5.9 running, and everything is working great, until my ADSL fails.

I'm using a Linksys WAG160N in bridge mode for ADSL if it is relevant.

When the ADSL recovers, Gargoyle connects back up, and all wired network components have 'net again.

However, the Wifi goes down at this point, completely. Not just for 'net access, but dissappears. No-one can see network or connect to it, let alone get Internet.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or what I can do to restore it after my ADSL glitches?

Wisse

Re: Wifi not recovering

Post by Wisse »

I have the same problem, also with Gargoyle 1.5.9 on WRT160NL.

I can't say that I tied the bug to ADSL dropping, because I didn't look into that, but I do use ADSL (gateway) and it is possible that it's causing my problems also. Bug happens anytime between ~3h and ~3 days.

The funny thing is, that Wi-Fi won't come back after router power-cycle! Changing something Wi-Fi related in router's settings (like wireless channel) makes everything work again. This seems really strange to me.

I've searched for some OpenWRT tickets that might be related: [1],[2],[3],[4]
I have no idea how to fix anything tho.

Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Just a quick update.

Router dropped Wi-Fi sometime during the night. In the morning I tried power-cycle which didn't work. I couldn't be bothered to fix the bug with software reset, so I just left everything standing. To my surprise Wi-Fi came back on-line about 3h later and it's working just fine since then.

I have no idea what made it work again.

Edit: I was wrong. My brother power-cycled router and then he did the same for ADSL modem. That fixed the problem. Apparently even ethernet wasn't working properly.

i199

Post by i199 »

I've got the same problem.

My router is TP-Link TL-WR1043N, I've set a scheduled reboot on everyday 5:00AM. Wifi works fine in firmware 1.5.8.

But in 1.5.9, Wifi does not work after scheduled reboot. I've to unplug power and restart router to resume Wifi services.

BashfulBladder

Post by BashfulBladder »

i199: while not a solution, try:

ssh root@192.168.1.1
/etc/init.d/network restart

I would try that before a trip to the basement to pull the plug.
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki

mtr

Post by mtr »

i199 wrote: But in 1.5.9, Wifi does not work after scheduled reboot. I've to unplug power and restart router to resume Wifi services.
I can confirm that. Meanwhile, I toggle WiFi On/Off using the QSS button as described in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/hardw ... n#examples (Example 5) instead of rebooting router.

Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Since I don't use features in new releases, I moved back to 1.5.6 (last backfire based version). So far I got 8 days of uptime w/o a single problem.

I've concluded, that in my case, AA is to blame. I hope it gets fixed before Eric comes out with some mouth-watering features, that will make me want to upgrade.

Router: WRT160NL

boon

Post by boon »

I'm using 1.5.8 with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, and it's intermittently dropping connection to the ADSL modem for both wired and wireless clients. After a while it will come back on, and sometimes a long while... and if it doesn't, a cold boot typically works. Maybe a regular restart will help? Is this a bug or is there a way to take a look at the log and figure out what happened?

mtr

Post by mtr »

boon wrote:I'm using 1.5.8 with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, and it's intermittently dropping connection to the ADSL modem for both wired and wireless clients. After a while it will come back on, and sometimes a long while... and if it doesn't, a cold boot typically works. Maybe a regular restart will help? Is this a bug or is there a way to take a look at the log and figure out what happened?
I've had the same issue and ended when I bought a new ADSL modem (it was hit by a lightning :| )

If not, try the following:

Modify your "/etc/ppp/options" (without quotes) file in this way:

Code: Select all

debug
logfile /var/log/ppp.log
noipdefault
noaccomp
nopcomp
nocrtscts
lock
maxfail 0
lcp-echo-failure 5
lcp-echo-interval 1
Next, run "ifup wan" in console.

From now on, check "/var/log/ppp.log".

boon

Post by boon »

Thanks to DoesItMatter (Link to post). I've flashed the firmware to 1.5.6 and so far it's been stable.