1.5.9 - wifi problems

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gregj48

1.5.9 - wifi problems

Post by gregj48 »

Hello all!

First off - Thank you, to everyone who makes this great software possible. I love it and have been running it for years.

Second, This is my first post to help correct a problem with my Linksys WRT160NL after upgrading to 1.5.9. It was working great at 1.5.6. I upgraded to 1.5.9 and bricked the router, but recovered using the "firstboot" command in recovery mode (rapidly press the top button until the device goes into recovery mode upon power on).

I've been running 1.5.9 and I have to say the wifi is not at all stable. Even with automatic daily reboots, I still have devices that can't get on until I power cycle the router.

What procedures do you suggest and/or what information do you need to help assist with this issue?

Thanks in advance,
-Greg

boon

Re: 1.5.9 - wifi problems

Post by boon »

I do get wifi dropping on some PCs also with 1.5.9. I'm thinking if I can get better stability with stable version 1.4.7?

gregj48

Update - Locks up (was Re: 1.5.9 - wifi problems)

Post by gregj48 »

Since this post, I now have to manually power cycle the router every morning to get it working. This happens with scheduled reboots at 4:00 am.

The router seems to lock up. The extra button light is blinking, no wifi light, connected Ethernet ports lit. No response from the router when you try to access the GUI interface. I will try to SSH into the router Saturday to see if I can tell it to reboot that way. I also turned off the scheduled reboots.

boon

Post by boon »

Thanks to DoesItMatter (Link to post). I've flashed the firmware to 1.5.6 and so far it's been stable.

gregj48

Post by gregj48 »

I have turned OFF auto reboot and we're on day three with no hang up. Network speed could be MUCH better, but it's not locking up.

gregj48

Re: 1.5.9 - wifi problems with Linksys WRT160NL

Post by gregj48 »

Update - router bricked itself after a few weeks. It was still routing traffic, but not responsive to the GUI or SSH. I tried power cycling the unit, but it won't return to a fully booted state. Swapped it out for my backup router, and now I am going to try to completely wipe this unit and start from scratch.

:arrow: Any suggestions or advice before I proceed?

:idea: This started out as a wifi network problem thread, but it seems to be an installation issue. I don't want to post a duplicate thread in the installation/troubleshooting. Can an admin move this thread for me?

Thanks in advance!