xbox 360 not connecting wirelessly

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

romosam

xbox 360 not connecting wirelessly

Post by romosam »

I searched for the problem and i couldnt find anything similar. Is anyone having any issues connecting xbox to router with gargoyle? i have a wdr4300 that i have tried with 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 gargoyle and as soon as i flashed it, i could not connect to router like with the original tp-link firmware. Ive htried setting manual ip and dns info but that didnt work. xbox just doesnt pick up an ip and wont connect to my router. Any ideas, help, tips or tricks will greatly be appreciated. I have 5 other devices in the house that can connect fine.

romosam

Re: xbox 360 not connecting wirelessly

Post by romosam »

Tried with no encryption and Still cant get an IP. Any special setting I need for Xbox to connect?

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

I'm having the same problem on 1.5.9 on a tp-link 4300 as well.

Did you find any solution?
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

RouterRoot

Post by RouterRoot »

I just wanted to chime in that I am having the exact same problem. Every computer, laptop, and portable device connects to the router and internet fine, except the Xbox 360. I am on a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 on Gargoyle 1.5.9. I've searched around, and it seems that this issue is kind of common, but I haven't been able to find any viable solutions. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Crash

Post by Dr. Crash »

Add me to the list of people with that issue. I just installed 1.5.9 today. This is my first Gargoyle installation. The Xbox 360 won't connect wirelessly :-(

If one looks at the Connected Hosts page, one will briefly see an entry with the Xbox 360 MAC address, and "unknown" for the IP address. That entry will then disappear. I believe that it is only present while the Xbox 360 tries to get its IP.

I tried both plain DHCP and DHCP with a reservation for the Xbox 360's MAC, and none of those work.

Wired (Ethernet) connection works just great, but I could certainly do without the very long cable I just ran through my living room.

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

I suspect that it's a problem with AA 12.09 but I can't see any reference to xBox issues in the OpenWRT AA forum.

I was relying on uPNP to setup the right port forwards but I will try and setup the standard xBox port forwards tonight manually and see if that makes a difference.
Paul

Dr. Crash

Post by Dr. Crash »

pmerrill, setting the port forwarding manually does not make a difference. Mine are manually setup and I can only connect through Ethernet. Wrong port forwarding would not give a connection error but rather a message about the quality of your Internet connection later on (see http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live ... ype-strict).

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

You're probably right but I'll try and few things and look at the Gargoyle logs to see if I can see anything. I did have it working on 1.5.8 but with a different router, so it's either 12.09 acting up or the firmware talking to the hardware.
Paul

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

Noticed this on another web site (http://blog.metamatt.com/post/195820068 ... its-luster).

My Xbox 360 suddenly found itself unable to sign into Xbox Live. I noticed this in January 2011 and while it’s hard to know exactly when it started or what changed, I hadn’t changed anything in the router configuration recently, so I suspect the Xbox dashboard update shortly before that made the critical change. But I blame OpenWrt, not the Xbox software, because I sniffed the traffic it was sending, and found weirdness. Specifically, the Xbox likes to use UPnP to open network ports, and I had miniupnpd enabled on the router to allow this, and in the broken state, the Xbox would make a UPnP request to forward UDP port 3074 to itself, then it would send outgoing UDP packets to something.xboxlive.com:3074, and the router would see that as eligible for the forwarding rule it just set up, and immediately reflect the Xbox’s own packet back to it. (It would also get NATted and go out on the WAN, and a few hundred milliseconds later a response would arrive from the real Xbox Live service, but by then the Xbox was already confused.) Meanwhile, the port forwarding wasn’t actually necessary because of the OpenWrt NAT implementation. So if I stopped miniupnpd, the Xbox would be able to sign into Live, but other things I run that want UPnP or NAT-PMP would break. I was able to have it both ways by blacklisting the Xbox from talking to miniupnpd, but this didn’t inspire confidence.

I think I may try turning off uPnP and doing the port forwards myself to see if that fixes it.

And another, though it's DD-WRT, it may be applicable...

http://compbrain.net/archives/96

The trick is to ensure the DHCP lease times are not zero.
Paul

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

Followup, tried a bunch of things last night, no luck. Still won't connect. There must be something about how the xbox interacts with openwrt that is the problem. Stock firmware for the router is fine but not 1.5.9
Paul