QoS configuration disappears after power loss and breaks WAN

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ericwong

Re: QoS configuration disappears after power loss and breaks

Post by ericwong »

pbix wrote:Today I tried to reproduce this issue without success.

I added 40 rules to the download page and 35 to the upload page. Both saved without issue.

I attach an example of my download page.

It seems something other than the number of QoS rules is responsible for this situation. Running out of RAM on your router seems to me to be a likely cause. User experiencing this problem should state their router model in their posts.

Until a reliable way to reproduce this problem is reported it will not be possible to address is.
It is not about the number of rules..
It is about using multiple browser tabs/windows to access the QoS page..

If you try to use at least TWO tab/window to modify the QoS page at the same time, you will see this bug. I can reproduce or avoid this problem reliably this way.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Wisse

Post by Wisse »

I've had similar problem today with Gargoyle 1.4.6 (WRT160-Nl), which led me to this, surprisingly recent topic.

I'd had edited QoS rules quite a few times before, but today, for the first time, I added a new class with "Bandwidth Minimum" (It wasn't the only one tho. I was also using default Voip class). Upload QoS configuration went fine, Download on the other hand just disappeared.

I used "Reset" button on the page and was able to clear things out, but adding fresh set of rules didn't help. First they got mixed together (some rules took on settings from the other) and later disappeared again.

I've had three Firefox tabs opened when I did that. One was "QoS Download", where I was working, the other one was "QoS Upload" and the third one was "Connection List" with 2 seconds refresh rate.

I never made any useful backup and I can't get things working without factory reset, so I'm moving to 1.5.8 tomorrow. I finally got a good reason to upgrade :)

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Wisse wrote: I never made any useful backup and I can't get things working without factory reset, so I'm moving to 1.5.8 tomorrow. I finally got a good reason to upgrade :)
Unfortunately, 1.5.8 suffers exactly the same problem..
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Yes, I'm aware of that, but since I have to rebuild whole config, I might as well do it on a newer version. Of course I'll back things up, before I go into QoS configuration.

Thanks for your reminder tho.

raz

Post by raz »

In my experience, if you get the bug while on the web interfface, you still have a certain time frame to pull your previous 'qos-gargoyle' file out of the router before it gets overwritten. I used WinSCP to do so.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

You cannot use two tabs at the same time to modify your router. This is true of the QoS screens and all other screens as well.

This is true not just for two tabs in the same browser but also for two different computers at the same time. The Gargoyle interface is not a multi-user design. You cannot perform any operations on two screens at the same time without risking corruption of your settings.

You should be able to view though using multiple screens however.

This is not technically a bug since it is how it is designed to operate and there is little prospects of it being changed.

If someone can document a problem which does not involve saving on more than one screen simultaneously I will take a look at it.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

pbix wrote:You cannot use two tabs at the same time to modify your router. This is true of the QoS screens and all other screens as well.

This is true not just for two tabs in the same browser but also for two different computers at the same time. The Gargoyle interface is not a multi-user design. You cannot perform any operations on two screens at the same time without risking corruption of your settings.

This is not technically a bug since it is how it is designed to operate and there is little prospects of it being changed.

If someone can document a problem which does not involve saving on more than one screen simultaneously I will take a look at it.
Try doing this non-simultaneously and you will encounter the SAME bug!!

What I mean is open one tab, modify QoS and then open one more tab/window on the same computer to try change another thing... The QoS page will get corrupted too!!

or you can use one tab to "look" at QoS and the other to actually change it.. exactly same problem will occur..
Eric Wong

danielkza

Post by danielkza »

pbix wrote:You cannot use two tabs at the same time to modify your router. This is true of the QoS screens and all other screens as well.

Then the interface should be open on a read-only state on the secondary computers.

Mikhail.Fiadosenka

Post by Mikhail.Fiadosenka »

ericwong wrote:...or you can use one tab to "look" at QoS and the other to actually change it.. exactly same problem will occur..
Yes, I've just noticed that if I try to save QoS in one tab while another tab with QoS is open - settings get corrupted.
QoS page auto-updates itself and I assume that Ajax request aborts the process of applying new settings somehow. Maybe if you open Connection List in another tab the issue will appear too.

atomico

Post by atomico »

after 3 years and at version 1.7.1. we still have this bug...