Feature Request: Bandwidth/Active Connections/Banning Page

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

vask

Feature Request: Bandwidth/Active Connections/Banning Page

Post by vask »

I have created an sample page which may be possible with functionality already present in Gargoyle.

Thumbnail:

Reasoning:
By banning/unbanning users quickly and easily you will be able to see the effect it has on the total bandwidth.

Notes:
The screenshot above isn't perfect... But it is intended just to give a basic idea of what I would like to see in a router webif.
Also, this is NOT my ideal solution as it is not able to show per-ip/mac bandwidth, but it is an improvement from what I am currently using with DD-WRT.

See Also:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... ?f=6&t=215

vask

Re: Feature Request: Bandwidth/Active Connections/Banning Page

Post by vask »

Ok Now here is my ideal solution:

The reason I propose this is that out-of-the-box I could be able to instantly monitor and stop whoever is on my network by monitoring them in realtime.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Thanks for your input! Seeing exactly what people want (with screenshots) is always very, very helpful to me, when deciding what to implement.

As I mentioned before I am planning on doing a major overhaul of the bandwidth monitor soon. The new version will definitely allow monitoring individual IPs without setting static IPs, as you want. I like your idea of integrating information on connected hosts/hosts with active connections -- that would definitely make it easier to know who to look for.

However, I'm not sure if I like the idea of banning users in the bandwidth section... The problem is that you need to know where to go to un-ban them, and this is best done in the restrictions section. (Having 2 places someone can be blocked can be problematic). However, it might be possible to put an entry in the restriction section as well when you ban someone, so you can un-ban in all appropriate places. I will give this some more thought.

So, you can definitely expect an option for simpler IP monitoring, allowing easy monitoring of all connected IPs in the next couple of months. This has a high priority, but it is also a highly non-trivial feature to implement, so it will take some time -- no promises on exactly when I''ll get there. You likely won't see the "ban" feature you request, at least not in the first versions of the new bandwidth system, but I may get there eventually.

In any case, thanks for your ideas! Once again, I really do appreciate your feedback.

vask

Post by vask »

Eric wrote:However, I'm not sure if I like the idea of banning users in the bandwidth section... The problem is that you need to know where to go to un-ban them, and this is best done in the restrictions section. (Having 2 places someone can be blocked can be problematic). However, it might be possible to put an entry in the restriction section as well when you ban someone, so you can un-ban in all appropriate places. I will give this some more thought.
If banning is implemented into the ideal "Bandwidth Control" page, it will be the ONLY page I need after initial setup of my router!!!

When trying to find an offending user on my network the biggest time-saver of course would be being able to cycle 1 by 1 through the active connections while seeing the bandwidth graph displayed in real time.

Integration of banning/unbanning functionality would just be the icing on the cake.

MORE INFO:
My network is implemented at a hostel on a WRT54GL running DD-WRT which requires me to navigate to 3 pages AND 1 popup page... Banning the appropriate user while navigating back and forth through all these pages is very time consuming...

What currently may take me 20 minutes on DD-WRT to find and ban an offending user I think I could do in 1 minute on Gargoyle with the ideal "Bandwidth Control" page I suggested. And if I have to navigate to a separate page to handle extra "Access Restrictions" maybe only slightly longer.

vask

Post by vask »

Can't the dropdown box or SOMETHING in the "Bandwidth Usage" screen be pre-populated with all the active clients so that you could select which active client to display on the graph?

In Gargoyle Version:1.0.8 I thought this might be reality, but I may be mistaken.

I really want REALTIME per IP/mac bandwidth monitoring with 0 configuration.

Are there plans to implement something like this in the future?

Another Screenshot bleh:

vask

Post by vask »

I just tried out version 1.13 of gargoyle-router. I am still evaluating it...

Gargoyle-Router seems to have all of the functionality I want with the exception of integrating everything I want into a single page... However, I am going to see what I can do using iframes and a little web development to integrate everything by opening up perhaps 2 or 3 instances of the web-if simultaneously on the same webpage. At that point the Bandwidth/Active Connections/Banning Page will be complete.

The thing that I am most happy with is that the bandwidth section is pre-populated with all connected clients and I can just choose which one to monitor... (This was not in my previous 1.0.8 version).

As soon as gargoyle is released as stable I may install Gargoyle instead of DD-WRT on the main router!

vask

Post by vask »

This is the page I am looking to create on Gargoyle 1.15. The picture was created in GIMP, but has yet to be integrated into the web-if.

I will try my best to modify the /www files on the router to make this page a reality, but I can't even seem to remove certain code blocks without breaking the entire graphing functionality.