Router Suggestions

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

WizardTPG

Re: Router Suggestions

Post by WizardTPG »

So I have been running Gargoyle for about a week on my WRT1900AC v2 and I have encountered a few issues that I thought I would ask about.

1) I am having some stability issues. On several occasions over the last week the router has ceased to operate requiring a reboot. Basically all devices connected to the router (both wifi and ethernet connected) loose all connectivity with the router. Attempting to ping the router fails. A power cycle of the router fixes this issue.

2) Temperature of the device seems surprisingly high. The ram temp reported in Gargoyle status is generally over 85 deg C but often as high as 91 deg C. How does this compare to other WRT1900AC owners? (Note: No CPU temp is being reported)

3) The router seems to be having issues rendering the config webpage when connected to it via wifi devices. I have tried several devices including laptops, android tablets and phones. Often it will take several attempts to render the status page. This problem does not seem to exist on PCs connected via ethernet however.

Any advice would be great guys.
WRT1900ACv1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Did you end up installing the version from the downloads page?
If so, try upgrading to the latest ispyisail build. It has a wireless driver update which should drop your temperatures a bit.

I think stability is probably elected to temperature at a guess. So let's start there and knock over one thing at a time.

for reference:
CPU Temperature: 59 °C
RAM Temperature: 46 °C
Wifi Temperature: 49 °C
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

Yes, that was the download page build.
I expect the temperatures to be higher on the v2 as it has no fan but yes, they do seem very high to me as well.

Try and install the ispyisail build and run it a few days to see what happens
WRT1900ACv1

tapper

Post by tapper »

WizardTPG wrote:So I have been running Gargoyle for about a week on my WRT1900AC v2 and I have encountered a few issues that I thought I would ask about.

1) I am having some stability issues. On several occasions over the last week the router has ceased to operate requiring a reboot. Basically all devices connected to the router (both wifi and ethernet connected) loose all connectivity with the router. Attempting to ping the router fails. A power cycle of the router fixes this issue.

2) Temperature of the device seems surprisingly high. The ram temp reported in Gargoyle status is generally over 85 deg C but often as high as 91 deg C. How does this compare to other WRT1900AC owners? (Note: No CPU temp is being reported)

3) The router seems to be having issues rendering the config webpage when connected to it via wifi devices. I have tried several devices including laptops, android tablets and phones. Often it will take several attempts to render the status page. This problem does not seem to exist on PCs connected via ethernet however.

Any advice would be great guys.
Hi mate try this build viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8289
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

I applied it using the sysupgrade.tar and it had the updating splash screen on the screen for quite some time.

I opened another window and the router was operational but I am not sure if it has updated or not. Is there a way I can tell if it is the ispyisail build?
WRT1900ACv1

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

ok, nope didnt install then.
Kinda thought that was the case cause the uptime was still over 1 day.

Using the .tar is the correct way to apply the update?
WRT1900ACv1

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

ok got it updated.
Still have no CPU or wifi temps showing in status screen and ram temp is still sitting fairly high temp at 82 deg C

Ill see how it goes in regards to stability for the next few days.

Maybe its just in my head but the web interface does seem faster in its rendering speed.
WRT1900ACv1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I need to know what you have under this directory
/sys/class/hwmon/
Each of those results I need to know what is inside them too.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

WizardTPG

Post by WizardTPG »

Hi Lantis

Code: Select all

root@WizardGargoyle:/sys/class/hwmon# ls -R *
hwmon0:
device       name         subsystem    temp1_input  temp2_fault  temp2_input  uevent

hwmon1:
name         subsystem    temp1_input  uevent
WRT1900ACv1