Version error trying to load 1.9 on Archer C7 v2

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Version error trying to load 1.9 on Archer C7 v2

Post by Lantis »

Thanks for sharing the process. No doubt someone will need it in the future.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

markcarlson6

Post by markcarlson6 »

Thanks! Now, time to start configuring!

KabukiMan

Post by KabukiMan »

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to follow up on Mark's Archer C7 Cow Testicle Gargoyle Flash Method. :lol: I found Gargoyle while searching for a way to monitor bandwidth and usage on my Apple Airport. The solution: get a new router that's capable.

I now have an Archer C7 V2 US. I have yet to turn it on to start the process but I wanted to know from the group if there's been any updates to Gargoyle v1.9 to allow direct flashing? Or if anyone else has had success w/ Mark's CTGFM?

Thanks!

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi KabukiMan as far as I know you stil have to flash ddwrt first mate.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

wallythacker

Post by wallythacker »

This is odd.

I flashed 1.8 over the same US version that is supposed to be non-flashable.

TP-Link has stated they will no longer manufacture routers with firmware that can be replaced to comply with FCC rules. Their whole line will be locked down (until someone figures out a hack) from using 3rd party software.

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/tp-link-r ... enwrt.html

I don't know how good the source is and/or if the dd-wrt that was used in this thread was the hack needed.

Also, I'm in Canada and realize it's only US routers that tp-link will be locking down. I buy all my gear from Amazon and more than once have been sent something made for the US market as evidenced by the lack of any Canadian markings on the gear. Perhaps some stuff isn't monitored by Industry Canada or whoever is responsible. YMMV.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Yes mate it's the ddwrt file that is the work around for the blocking of the flashing of openwrt and Gargoyle.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

snowstark

Post by snowstark »

markcarlson6 wrote:Holy cow testicles. I finally got it worked through. It was definitely an issue with my version. Thanks to the info on DD-WRT, I was able to piece together enough of a trail of work arounds. Here's how it finally accepted Gargoyle for me:

1. Flash with DD-WRT 3rd party software. It's a specific beta version, made to get around this US version issue:
http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/do ... wrt-US.bin

2. Flash again with a unique revert firmware made to take back to TP-Lilnk factory from DD-WRT. In this case, it take me back to FW version 3.13.34 Build 131217 Rel 60903n.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 939#936939
Note: you need to create an account on dd-wrt.com to see the files.

3. NOW, the Archer was able to flash to Gargoyle 1.9 using the factory bin.

Jeez, it seemed like a lot more steps before writing it down. Maybe this can help another without going through days of trial and error. It's surprising I didn't kill the router in the process...
So I tried to do this and on the DD-WRT portion, it said I suceeded when I flashed the .bin file, but now I cant get into the router access screen at all. just doesnt load when I type in the ip to bing up the web access page. I can see the router wifi signal and I can ping the router, but I cant get into anything to go further. any ideas?

KabukiMan

Post by KabukiMan »

I think I remember that dd-wrt changes the IP address to access it. They use 192.168.1.1. So the web gui doesn't come up right away. Also, check for a new wireless called OpenWRT. lastly, try rebooting your router via the power switch.

Did you flash over wireless or wired?

dalkantrell

Post by dalkantrell »

I have followed the directions on this thread and can not get Gargoyle or even OpenWRT to install on my Archer C7 Ver 2.0. Didn't work. After installing DD-WRT firmware in the link of this thread and then following up with webrevert.bin file I attempted to use Gargoyle 1.9 or the 1.8 version of and then the router becomes unresponsive. No IP address what-so-ever. I've used TFTPD software to restore the router using ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin and it will work once again. I thought since the Gargoyle version of the firmware failed I'd try tricking it by installing OpenWRT first.I've tried this process several times and nothing will get the OpenWRT or Gargoyle software on this router. I even tried renaming the Gargoyle firmware to ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin and send it to the router using the TFTPD software. Nothing works. Can someone please help? I'm sorry if I should've posted this somewhere else but it seems this thread has been updated occasionally and I thought I might get a response here.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi all -

New to Gargoyle, but excited about the possibilities... About to buy an Archer C7 v2 (have supplier holding one for me) - want to check whether you got Gargoyle working OK, esp. the WiFi which seems ambiguous in a couple of posts I've read. I will really only use the WiFi - quotas, time limits etc. so I'd like to be sure it's going to work before collecting...

Any info appreciated!

Regards,
Peter