Version error trying to load 1.9 on Archer C7 v2

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

gper

Re: Version error trying to load 1.9 on Archer C7 v2

Post by gper »

Not sure, but you can try by going to the Update Firmware page of the TP-Link GUI and simply selecting the appropriate Gargoyle .bin file. My guess is that you will get:

Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

in which case you will have to follow the Holy Cow Testicles method.

tmack0

Post by tmack0 »

I just updated my tp-link archer c7 v2 (serial starting with 217, so it has the newer chip that everything should be patched for now) to Lede without having to do the ddwrt/openwrt intermediate step first, so probably would work for gargoyle?:

1. got ArcherC7v2_en_3_14_3_up(150427).bin from zippyshare (linked somewhere on this or another gargoyle forum page about the 18005 error)
2. flashed that via the tplink UI, which is an old firmware from tplink (150427) that validly flashes from even the current tp-link firmware (170525)
3. flashed Lede 17.01.2 ar71xx from the older firmware tp-link UI

network addresses change between the 0 subnet and 1 subnet for tplink/lede, but once Lede came up, it worked. Unless gargoyle flashing requires some non-factory firmware to start with, I think it would work this way as well.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Possibly, although the LEDE image includes the headers necessary to satisfy the country restriction. Gargoyle doesn't.
You can use lede as the intermediate step to Gargoyle in these instructions from this thread.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

agrohe21

Post by agrohe21 »

I followed these instructions and it has worked fine.

Only issue is I suffer the WAN IP issues as others. It will not auto-resolve when rebooting from GUI. have to unplug Arris Cable Modem.
Linksys WRT32x Wired Gateway, Orbi RBK20 Wifi
Linksys WRT32x Wired Gateway, Orbi RBK50 Wifi

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

agrohe21 wrote:I followed these instructions and it has worked fine.

Only issue is I suffer the WAN IP issues as others. It will not auto-resolve when rebooting from GUI. have to unplug Arris Cable Modem.
gargoyle version?

I do not have this problem with my c7's?

atelegs@gmail.com

Post by atelegs@gmail.com »

nkhan wrote:Hi Gargoylians,

None of the above tricks worked for me :o always rx'ed the 18005 error.

What did work, simply, quickly and without hassle.

upgraded from factory shipped 16/06/16 F/W
to
AUS/NZ F/W ArcherC7v2_en_au_nz_31052017
here
static(dot)tp-link(dot)com/5021000677(dot)rar

dropped in Gargoyle 1.9.2 & rebooted :mrgreen:

Cheers
Naj
I'm a total noob and just bought an Archer C7 v2 today. Thanks to all the various C7 posts offering help and detailing FW upgrade experiences - I've successfully flashed the bastard !

My device has the SN: 261C......1215 but was still giving the Error code: 18005 even when I shorted the .bin name.

So. . . I tried Naj's solve above and it worked ! (Thanks Naj.)

Hopefully this helps out any other noobs with a C7 v2 out there. . . .

PS - The .bin file I installed was named "gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin"

nkhan

Post by nkhan »

Eriond & atelegs and any that haven't replied

Happy that my 2-3 hours of bashing keys helped out

Massive kudos to ispyisail and any secret helpers for providing the f/w for all of us to use in the first place :mrgreen:

The following is not a gripe at Gargoyle it is a FYI in case others find that "shit happens" :ugeek:

Of note, I have scheduled a reboot of the C7 every day. I also reboot the pc's that tunnel through it (10 minutes later). Otherwise I find teamviewer loses the plot, that could also be an idiosyncrasy with interacting with the ADSL modem (also a TP-Link but a few years old) I find it often needs a hit at least once a month too.

Now, if could find a way of tunneling through the proxy at work.........................

Cheers
Naj

ChillyHellion

Post by ChillyHellion »

sandpa wrote:Hello, I'm new to all this router flashing and am interested in trying to flash Gargoyle firmware to my C7 v2. From what i think i understand the last Archer C7 v2 stock firmware from 2016 (160719) blocked the ability to flash custom firmwares, and it could only be done by certain exploits, but also that the current firmware that was released in June (170525) removed this block.
This didn't end up working for me; it looks like the block is still in place on this version of the stock firmware.

I also tried nkhan's suggestion of installing the AUS/NZ firmware but it looks like they may have closed that loophole as well.

However markcarlson6's trusty Holy Cow Testicles method worked for me, even on stock firmware 170525. I highly recommend this process for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. It looks a lot more daunting than it is, but it's essentially just flashing three different firmware versions in a row (the third being the desired gargoyle revision).

Just remember that the new TPLink firmware uses http://tplinkwifi(dot)net to connect, DD-Wrt uses 192.168.1.1, the old TPLink firmware uses 192.168.0.1, and then finally gargoyle uses 192.168.1.1.

Kudos to markcarlson6 for figuring this method out!