TL-WR1043ND V2.1 install 1.8.0

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

erez669

TL-WR1043ND V2.1 install 1.8.0

Post by erez669 »

someone test the new firmware version on tp-link tl-wr1043nd v2.1 and/or v3? i have the 2.1 hardware revision of the product, now i have firmware 1.6.2 and want to upgrade to 1.8.0.
just want to know how to do it correctly without bricking my unit and fix wifi bug on android 5.0.2 devices that disconnects.

thanks.

:D

tapper

Re: TL-WR1043ND V2.1 install 1.8.0

Post by tapper »

Hi I don't have the router but to upgrade you just flash the sys upgrade bin from the webinterface. DO NOT SAVE SETTINGS.
All tho i dont think this will not fix the bug with android phones.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

DrJase

Post by DrJase »

Hi,

I'm new to Gargoyle. I was looking for same way of adding quotas to users and controlling bandwidth hoggers.

I have the same router and flashed it with 1.8 yesterday.

All was well, but today I went to make some changes and tweaks to the router and NO SETTINGS ARE RETAINED. There are no errors and when I click on save changes, it goes through the motions and all looks OK - Until I leave the page. When I go back to the page, the changes have gone.

I cannot access the router via SSL as I disabled this on initial set up!!!

Is there an easy resolution to this, or do I have to reflash the router.

thanks in advance.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

DrJase wrote:I cannot access the router via SSL as I disabled this on initial set up!!! Is there an easy resolution to this, or do I have to reflash the router.
That sounds like the easy resolution to me ;-)

I had some similar issues with my TL-WR1043ND when I added a few to many plugins (ie memory related I suspect)

You might also be interested in
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... _scenarios
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

DrJase

Post by DrJase »

Hi nworbnhoj and thanks for the speedy reply.

I feared as much.

Ironically, the router seems to function OK at the moment, so I'll take screen prints of my current settings and reflash on the weekend when I've more time.

I'll let you know how it goes....

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Before reflashing 1.8.0 you should backup your settings:
Gargoyle - System - Backup/Restore - Backup Current Configuration

Also you should be able to tick "Preserve Settings" when you reflash to 1.8.0. to save you some mucking about.

Also I revived my TL-WD1043ND-V2 this afternoon and set it up to do what my TL-WDR3600 has been doing. A few people have been experiencing weird stuff.

Be sure to wait patiently when you reflash 1.8.0 to allow the router to entirely complete the task before powering off or interacting with it some other way.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

nworbnhoj wrote:Also I revived my TL-WD1043ND-V2 this afternoon and set it up to do what my TL-WDR3600 has been doing. A few people have been experiencing weird stuff.
I have Gargoyle 1.8.0 up and running on my TL-WD1043ND-V2
Utilizing: PPPoE, WiFi, Guest Network, DDNS, Port fwd, Quotas, QoS, USB Storage
Plugins (on USB) : logread, adblock, TOR

All appears to be behaving itself EXCEPT the WiFi drops connections and requires a hardware reboot (power on/off) to resolve the issue (alternatively via a cable I can ssh and /etc/init.d/network restart)

I am stil mucking about with it to see if I can identify the issue

jeremycobert

Post by jeremycobert »

I gave my old router to my parents because they live out in the boonies and have satellite internet that is capped. My old router was working fine with and is working perfect for them with bandwidth restrictions.

I thought i would just buy a compatible router and get going. I got a TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 and never used the original setup, instead I got the firmware for Gargoyle Version:1.8.0 factory.bin , installed the correct one over the factory firmware and all seemed well at first although looking back there were a few minor things.

the first thing I noticed was after a reboot, the page just sits in the reboot process even after the router re connects to wi-fi. I have to manually go back to the page 192.168.1.1.

second thing, if I enable QOS and set up my bandwidth, at some point the system re assigns that number. I know for certain my upload limit was set to 1000k and today it had changed to 330k.

this morning I had been setting up the qos download , I know for certain I had 15 different rules for steam games, video and the default ones. Today sometime, all but 5 rules are still there (none of the default ones). And yes, I am certain I saved them all properly.

Also, occasionally the bandwidth graphs will stop displaying on any browser and only fixable with a reboot. this has happened two times and both times the wireless connections also get wonky.

I am thinking about installing the firmware again, this time using the normal sysupgrade.bin now that I have it up from factory. Can I drop back to 1.7 ? or should i just reinstall 1.8 ?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

nworbnhoj wrote:All appears to be behaving itself EXCEPT the WiFi drops connections and requires a hardware reboot (power on/off) to resolve the issue (alternatively via a cable I can ssh and /etc/init.d/network restart)
I am stil mucking about with it to see if I can identify the issue
So I disabled the Guest network and my WiFi network has been stable for 36hrs. Are you using the Guest network with Gargoyle 1.8.0 on your TL-WR1043ND? Could you disable it for a couple of days and confirm if it makes any difference, one way or the other?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

jeremycobert wrote:the first thing I noticed was after a reboot, the page just sits in the reboot process even after the router re connects to wi-fi. I have to manually go back to the page 192.168.1.1.
yes I have also seen this but considered it a minor itch
jeremycobert wrote:second thing, if I enable QOS and set up my bandwidth, at some point the system re assigns that number. I know for certain my upload limit was set to 1000k and today it had changed to 330k.

this morning I had been setting up the qos download , I know for certain I had 15 different rules for steam games, video and the default ones. Today sometime, all but 5 rules are still there (none of the default ones). And yes, I am certain I saved them all properly.

Also, occasionally the bandwidth graphs will stop displaying on any browser and only fixable with a reboot. this has happened two times and both times the wireless connections also get wonky.
These sound to me like issues with a bad flash or weird running out of memory type of issues.
jeremycobert wrote:I am thinking about installing the firmware again, this time using the normal sysupgrade.bin now that I have it up from factory.
Yes this is what I would do. I would create a backup of the configuration, reflash the router with Gargoyle 1.8.0 selecting the sysupgrade.bin file, and then restore the config. You will not need the factory.bin again
jeremycobert wrote:Can I drop back to 1.7 ? or should i just reinstall 1.8 ?
I would not use 1.7 as it was experimental and by definition buggy. Use 1.8.0 or drop back to 1.6.2