TL-WR1043ND V3

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: TL-WR1043ND V3

Post by Lantis »

I don't know if I missed your response, but did you try TFTP?
It bypasses the web interface which as far as I know is the thing that checks the firmware and gives the 18005 error.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mojolacerator

Post by mojolacerator »

If you want a router that is 3rd party friendly.
Try the "WRT" series from Linksys.
Last edited by mojolacerator on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gargoyle

i5-3550, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd

peterro

Post by peterro »

I received the same V3 router this week to install gargoyle on. I was initially having the same 18005 issues no matter what I used (dd-wrt, open-wrt, gargoyle). It even would give the same error using the latest firmware from the TP-Link site.

I also was having issues trying TFTP, the router never seemed to download the file. After a lot of trial and error, I started running tcpdump on the ethernet port of my mac laptop to see what the router was trying to do to validate my process was correct and then the TFTP download worked. I guess tcpdump forces the ethernet port active.

In any case, I've tried all the .bin files mentioned above for the V3 and currently the box is bricked. It will TFTP boot/download the file but after reboot, it always leaves the power and system light on solid. The one ethernet port is lit but that's it.

Any ideas for getting it back? I may try the solder/serial method but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I'm also considering a different router.

Thanks.

portion

Post by portion »

I successfully flashed gargoyle_1.8.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin on the TL-WR1043ND V3.
I used the procedure as recommended in the OpenWrt wiki:
1) Install the current OpenWrt trunk version for v3 via the TP-Link web interface
2) (after the reboot) Via scp upload the current OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 stable release for v2 to "/tmp/filename", (e.g. with WinScp). After the reboot the router will have the ip-address 192.168.1.1 and the default OpenWrt user and password.
3) Log in via ssh (e.g. putty) and then execute "sysupgrade -n -F /tmp/filename". The sysupgrade will also complain about version mismatch (v2 vs. v3). But the -F switch forces it to flash the image anyway.
4) Wait for the process to finish with a reboot and be happy with Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 stable. :)
just do not use the OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 stable release, but use the apropiate Gargoyle version for the TL-WR1043ND V2. I used gargoyle_1.8.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

peterro

Post by peterro »

Thanks. I'd try that if the web interface was working. At this point all I can do is power it up with tftp and have it load an image. No matter what bin file I try, never comes online. I'd like to get out of this without having to solder up a serial connection.

portion

Post by portion »

Did you try it with the designated driver trunk with sysupgrade -n -F <filename>?
See https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl ... 1043nd_v3x

peterro

Post by peterro »

Thanks. I'm getting closer. I didn't notice the IP change from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.1 after the reboot. At least it's not dead.

At this point, 192.168.1.1 is up and I've used the tftp load of the trunk version for v3 and then the sysupgrade to chaos calmer a couple times but the console when I ssh into the device still shows designated driver. I also have no web interface to the 1.1 IP address and don't see any new wireless access points available.

I've also tried the trunk/sysupgrade of the designated driver images for v3 still with no change. I've also tried a ddwrt image via tftp and it's still designated driver after the reboot.

This is what's on the console after ssh login every time:

BusyBox v1.24.2 () built-in shell (ash)

_______ ________ __
| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -__| || | | || _|| _|
|_______|| __|_____|__|__||________||__| |____|
|__| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, 50027)
* 2 oz. Orange Juice Combine all juices in a
* 2 oz. Pineapple Juice tall glass filled with
* 2 oz. Grapefruit Juice ice, stir well.
* 2 oz. Cranberry Juice
root@OpenWrt:~#

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

peterro wrote:Thanks. I'd try that if the web interface was working. At this point all I can do is power it up with tftp and have it load an image. No matter what bin file I try, never comes online. I'd like to get out of this without having to solder up a serial connection.
Hello peterro,

my router (WR842ND v2) bricked yesterday, and my only option was the TFTP Recovery method (not even the failsafe mode seemed to respond). Thank god this thing exists. I was back online in no time.

As you previously stated, i was able to get the image loaded into the router and all, but nothing ever seemed to happen after that, the power led remained on forever and that was it.

What solved my problem ?
I was trying to use a Gargoyle-SQUASHFS-SYSUPGRADE.bin as a recovery image, when the correct one should be the Gargoyle-SQUASHFS-FACTORY.bin.

See if that solves your problem, i know it solved mine.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

peterro

Post by peterro »

Thanks for the idea. I've been using the factory images every time. What I'm seeing now is that no matter which image I use, it appears that the designated driver isn't changed. I know it's been using different images because I watch the tftp load from the server side and the file sizes match the desired image.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you've now got designated driver on it, why don't you configure the internet at the command line, then install luci so you get a web interface, then upgrade from there?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.