Help potential Gargoyle users take the plunge

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

nworbnhoj

Help potential Gargoyle users take the plunge

Post by nworbnhoj »

Approaching Gargoyle for the first time is a bit daunting - what with a plethora of hardware choices, firmware versions, dependence on another project (OpenWRT), tales of bricked routers, and loud warnings about taking no responsibility.

I wanted (needed) the Gargoyle functionality, but stepping away from the "safety" of the manufacturers offer, and into the abys was a bit daunting, despite being fairly competent with tech stuff. But what could I loose? At worst, a bricked router was less cost than 1 month of 3G Bandwidth.

My Gargoyle experience of course has been excellent! Never looked back.

My entry into the Gargoyle space would have been more confident if I had a better handle on what other users were doing. More than just trawling thru this forum (as I did).

I reckon it would be really good if there was a page on this website where a potential new user could see a breakdown of the hardware in use, and the Gargoyle version in use. It would add considerable confidence if a new potential user could see (for example) that there were 50 people running gargoyle on a TL-WR1043N/ND v2, and that 80% were sticking with 1.6.2.

It could be as simple as a sorted table with hardware, version & username. It could be an extention of the members page http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/memberlist.php.
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

ispyisail

Re: Help potential Gargoyle users take the plunge

Post by ispyisail »

Two thoughts have come to mind when I read this post.

1. Eric has a pre-configured routers for sale

2. There is a wiki where anybody can contribute.

One of the problems is manufactures change routers all the time which causes in Eric's words "wack a mole". It wouldn't be so bad if we were getting paid but we are all volunteers.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

I was thinking that each user could nominate their own hardware and software combination(s) in their profile - and the website would tablulate the data (php). Alternatively capture the intended hw when the software is downloaded
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

when i was researching and getting ready to "take the plunge" i just googled "best router for openwrt" and then cross referenced a list against gargoyle support routers. WNDR3800 came highly recommended, with nice flash and ram stats.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

I do understand what you're saying OP. I'm no stranger to diving headfirst into a topic and just reading it til my eyes bleed, but in this particular scenario, sometimes you need a bit of "Human Experience" rather than a Wiki.

I will tell you however, I have been perusing and following this forum less than a month, and folks have been extremely friendly and accommodating (more than expected coming from DD-WRT forums).

Perhaps encouraging any friends that you think might benefit from Gargoyle to browse the forums, might go a long way.

And to answer your question, I run the latest 1.7.1 Ispy build on my WDR3600 and have never been happier.