Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

jspaces

Re: Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Post by jspaces »

Gargoyle Version:1.13.0
Model:Linksys WRT3200ACM

Flashed from OEM GUI with factory image:
gargoyle_1.13.0-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
It is important to md5sum check the img file after downloading. My first download was corrupted when I checked. In the end I use wget <link to file download> and the download was perfect.

Configured as a simple access point.
Wireless works well on both 2.4 and 5. My android phone connected on both without any issue.

No fuss to flash and then straight forward to configure on the next restart. :D

Shturman

Post by Shturman »

Hello everyone First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone involved in the development. A few years ago, I successfully upgraded my tl-wr741nd v1.9 to Gargoyle version 1.4.4, but now I'm seeing Internet disconnections with a lot of load on the router. I decided to update the firmware, but I'm not sure which version is the latest for my revision of the device. 1.4.7. or 1.12.0? Sorry if I'm asking a question in the wrong section of the forum)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Shturman wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:49 pm
Hello everyone First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone involved in the development. A few years ago, I successfully upgraded my tl-wr741nd v1.9 to Gargoyle version 1.4.4, but now I'm seeing Internet disconnections with a lot of load on the router. I decided to update the firmware, but I'm not sure which version is the latest for my revision of the device. 1.4.7. or 1.12.0? Sorry if I'm asking a question in the wrong section of the forum)
The latest possible version you can install is recommended. 1.12 sounds right.
That being said, a dose of reality for you.
That device has reached the end of its useful life, and can not be safely upgraded beyond (approximately) v1.12 due to limited hardware. As a result it contains well known and exploitable vulnerabilities which could compromise your network. It should not be used as an internet facing device.
1.12 will be more secure than 1.4.4 (by a long shot), but not as good as something like 1.13 or beyond.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fastness

Post by fastness »

Gargoyle Version: 1.13.0.2 (b69041f8)
TP-Link Archer A7 v5

1, rename the gargoyle-1.13.0.2-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-a7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin to ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
2, reset the TP-Link Archer A7 v5 to factory default configuration. reboot.
3, login the TP-Link OEM firmware again, at 192.168.0.1
upgrade from TP-Link OEM firmware directly to ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
4, ArcherC7v5 will reboot with with only one wifi LED light on, besides the power light. search for a WiFi AP Gargoyle,
login the Gargoyle firmware at IP 192.168.1.1. default psw: password, default lauguage is Polski
5, upgrade the Gargoyle firmware from factory.bin to sysupgrade.bin to get both wifi LED lights on.
reset to default configuration, and reboot.
6, so far, everything works.

note,
1, I followed the openwrp instruction to rename the factory.bin, for this initial flashing. but I'm not sure it is necessary

2, TFTP flash instructions for openwrt
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/open ... d56e9b976f
https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/ ... cher_a7_v5

3, Download at https://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/openw ... 9/generic/
gargoyle-1.13.0.2-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-a7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin
gargoyle-1.13.0.2-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-a7-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin