Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

t333to

Re: Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Post by t333to »

Firstly, hi all, this is my first post in this great community.
tbv wrote:I successfully flashed Gargoyle 1.5.11 on my TP-Link TL-WA730RE v1. As this model is not officially supported, I used the version for the TL-WA701N v1 (these two models are virtually identical, it is hard to tell the differences between them).

The TL-WA730RE stock firmware does not allow flashing of Gargoyle TL-WA701N version (incorrect firmware version error occurs). So I had to follow these steps:

1) flashed DD-WRT;
2) while in DD-WRT, flashed firmware "webrevert for TL-WA701ND v1" (taken from DD-WRT forums) to return to TL-WA701ND stock firmware;
3) after booting the "new" stock firmware, flashed Gargoyle TL-WA701N v1 version.

The router is working perfectly since then. It would be nice to have a native version of Gargoyle for the TL-WA730RE, to make things easier.
So thanks to your post I decided to flash my TP-Link TL-WA730RE v1 with the latest 1.6 Gargoyle using the TL-WA701N Gargoyle image. The stock firmware, while nice and clean, was loosing connection and was having problems with channels - it couldn't pick the right one. I was connecting it to a Netgear Atheros router (WNR612v2) with OpenWrt Barrier Breaker.

I can confirm that Gargoyle works nicely on this router so far, will report back if any problems occur.

I will add that I used the following Chinese tool to flash the Gargoyle image directly from the stock TP-Link firmware:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php ... 45#p168045

It works, just follow the instructions (you need the original TP-Link firmware from TP-Links page).

kilgore72

Post by kilgore72 »

So i finally flashed successfully the newest Gargoyle on my Asus WL500gpremium V1 :D . This utility was very helpful : http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/download ... /tftp2.exe .

Thomas

internetcolorado

Post by internetcolorado »

I am agree with your post. I am facing the same problem and found the solution for my problem. Thanks for the sharing it.

nikhilnh

Post by nikhilnh »

Successfully flashed Buffalo WZR-600DHP with Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H image (gargoyle_1.5.10-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-ag300h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin).

The router seems pretty solid. The download and upload speeds are pretty much the same as using wired connection. Love the option Gargoyle firmware gives over the stock firmware.

Peformance wise, the only difference that I noticed was , with the factory installed version of Buffalo DD-WRT, the link speed of t he wireless network was 130 Mbps with a 300 Mbps wireless adapter. However after installing Gargoyle the link speed varies b/w 117 Mbps to 78 Mbps.

brun0ls

Post by brun0ls »

Hello!

Again, another successfull flash done.
This time I flashed my main router, the Netgear WNDR3700v1, and everything works perfectly!!

It is soo nice, better than the Stock firmware, and I'm using it to serve WDS, using a Dlink DIR-615 to repeat it's signal.

I only wish Gargoyle had Guest Wifi in the GUI.

Thanks for this amazing firmware devs!!! :D

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

I flashed Gargoyle 1.6.1 on a Linksys WRT400N two days ago. Has been running rock solid since then, along with QoS with ACC. I used the WRT400N file in the download section.

It's a great used router to consider if you don't want to worry about different versions/revisions. Dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz with 680MHz CPU and 8MB flash. I bought mine off eBay for under $25.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Router successfully flashed to v 1.6.1 using the routers own software update feature. I shortened the name of the binary file after downloading. Works well so far.

ccf

Post by ccf »

I installed TL-WR841ND v8.2 with [gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-factory.bin]

Right after flash, no hardware or status info appear within Gargoyle. Router changes were not being saved. As advised by one of the mods, reset Gargoule settings to its default state via Systems>BackUp/Restore>Restore Default Configuration Now. Waited for 5mins, as the GUI did not appear to change on my end. Rebooted the router.

Works like a charm!

joeaor

Post by joeaor »

TL-WR1043N/ND v2 (hardware v2)

See post here: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 881#p23881

I have flashed many v1 hardware, but this was first v2 I have tried.

**NOTE** :o Download the v1 firmware for v1 hardware, and v2 firmware for v2 hardware. Sounds obvious, but NO-ONE on these boards would confirm for me that the v2 firmware downloads WERE for v2 hardware. Ha - risk-a-brick time!!

crispy5974

Post by crispy5974 »

Successfully installed on TP-LINK WA850RE v1.24 using
1.6.0 version of the firmware, taken from http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=5317

Installed using the tp-link firmware updater, worked straight off, first time. :D