Buffalo WZR-600DHP wont flash

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

pcguy

Buffalo WZR-600DHP wont flash

Post by pcguy »

Buffalo WZR-600DHP with dd-wrt flashing problems. Well try as I might I can not get this router to flash from dd-wrt v24-SP2 (4/11/13) Std. Tried several times to flash via web gui to gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-ag300h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin .

The upgrade via the GUI only takes a couple of minutes and its still sitting at dd-wrt! I have tried resetting the router before flashing and still can not get this router flashed.

n0pin

Re: Buffalo WZR-600DHP wont flash

Post by n0pin »

Maybe you should try to flash stock firmware back and then upgrade to Gargoyle from it.

pcguy

Post by pcguy »

I had another one of these routers with the Buffalo supplied dd-wrt firmware and like the true dd-wrt firmware from dd-wrt the router simply goes through the motion of upgrading to the Gargoyle but its still at dd-wrt. I am really leary of upgrading to Gargoyle now since I do not want it to be a one way street i.e. I won't be able to get back to dd-wrt should need arise.

Ulric

Post by Ulric »

I've always had to flash using 1.5.11, then upgrade from there. If you're using the buffalo build, do a 30-30-30, then flash it. This way works every time for me.

hope it helps :)
-Ulric
Router: Nighthawk X6 (OpenWRT 15.05.1), 15M/1M (Time Warner Cable)

pcguy

Post by pcguy »

Ulric wrote:I've always had to flash using 1.5.11, then upgrade from there. If you're using the buffalo build, do a 30-30-30, then flash it. This way works every time for me.

hope it helps :)
Sorry but you have lost me. What is 1.5.11? A Gargoyle version?

Most of the posts here seem to indicate that one can not flash a WZR-600DHP directly from the web GUI as the Gargoyle builds being used are for the older AG300 and they will not flash properly. Are you saying that you actually were able to flash this particular Buffalo router via the web gui?

Ulric

Post by Ulric »

If you're using the factory version of dd-wrt, use http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... actory.bin, newer builds didn't work on initial flash on my router.

If it doesn't flash, tftp will work for sure, 1.6.1 is the last build I had to tftp with and it works quite well, just make sure to reboot after setting it up to prevent a hang after about 14 hours, after the reboot, it's rock solid.

1.6.2 doesn't work for me (wireless dies after 10-15 minutes)
-Ulric

pcguy

Post by pcguy »

Ulric wrote:
If it doesn't flash, tftp will work for sure, 1.6.1 is the last build I had to tftp with and it works quite well, just make sure to reboot after setting it up to prevent a hang after about 14 hours, after the reboot, it's rock solid.

1.6.2 doesn't work for me (wireless dies after 10-15 minutes)
So flash with 1.5.11 and then upgrade via web gui to 1.6.1 or is the 1.6.1 upgrade still via TFTP via SCP even with 1.5.11 already on the router?

Just hesitating going to Gargoyle since it is not clear on how difficult to get back to dd-wrt builds for this particular Buffalo router if I decide Gargoyle is not for me.

Ulric

Post by Ulric »

just flashed factory back on mine to see if 1.6.1 will flash with tftp, it does, webui doesn't flash though...

just tftp http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... s-tftp.bin and set it up, you should be good then

edit: i just thought about using mtd to flash using the commands tab.
telnet into your router and run these commands, if this doesn't work, you'll need tftp for it

Code: Select all

cd /tmp

wget http://www.gargoyle-router.com/downloads/images/ar71xx/gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-ag300h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

mtd -e linux -r write gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-ag300h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin linux
-Ulric