Initial Settings - Can't choose language

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Garghoul

Initial Settings - Can't choose language

Post by Garghoul »

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Gargoyle Version:1.6.X (Built 20140614-1947 git@b9673d2)

I recently had to hard reset my router and wanted to use the opportunity, to change the web-interface language from the default English to a major European one.
However, on the Initial Settings page I couldn't find a way to do just that. None of the displayed national flags or the globe reacted to a mouse click.
Gargoyle_Initial-Settings_Language.png
Gargoyle_Initial-Settings_Language.png (43.96 KiB) Viewed 9012 times
Could someone please confirm, that it is/isn't a problem with the build I am using?

n0pin

Re: Initial Settings - Can't choose language

Post by n0pin »

As I can see you can only choose english language at initial settings page (I could be wrong), but there is also a button, which allows you to upload different language file.

Anyway you can install languages later by going to the plugins section in Gargoyle web interface.

Garghoul

Post by Garghoul »

My understanding was, that Gargoyle/OpenWRT contains i18n support for most European languages and only more 'exotic' ones needed to be added via an additional plugin.
Other than strangely Spanish, there aren't any such plugins available for any western European language, which seems to support my notion.

n0pin

Post by n0pin »

Take a look at this document:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle ... n-2013.txt
4. To configure a router in the native language, plugins.sh will only work on a configured router (one that has an internet connection). To address this, i18n-switching firmware has firstboot.sh with 2 added sections. A language package can be uploaded to the router & activated OR if an internet connection is present the option to directly download & activate a language package. Configuration is done in the native language.
Althrough above quote says that languages can be downloaded and activated on firstboot.sh page if internet connection is present, I don't think this function was implemented (yet). I took a look in a code and I found no indication about this function, other than manually uploading language packages.
Having a firmware image file with 13 languages sounds great. 12 languages that will never be used & suck up space sound crappy.
This is the reason, why languages aren't included in firmware image.

Garghoul

Post by Garghoul »

n0pin, thanks for taking the time to look into this.
Apparently things changed since the version available late last October, when I first came to Gargoyle, because Buffalo's options lacked USB MSD support.

Back then I could select a major European language on the Initial Settings page, but then couldn't get back to English, when an American friend needed my router around X-mas and New Year for a bit.
Of course I expected the same still to be true today.

A few updates and a necessary hard Reset later, I am back to English, but can't find anywhere a downloadable French, Italian, German, Dutch, Greek or any Scandinavian language pack, which I could offer on the Initial Settings page.
The two preconfigured plugin locations oddly enough don't have any of those language packs :?

So, where are they hiding out?

n0pin

Post by n0pin »

Althrough above quote says that languages can be downloaded and activated on firstboot.sh page if internet connection is present, I don't think this function was implemented (yet). I took a look in a code and I found no indication about this function, other than manually uploading language packages.
I take back what I said yesterday :D . It seems I didn't look deep enough. Today I updated my router to newest Gargoyle and OpenWRT revisions and saw that I can install new languages at initial settings page. You can only install them if router can access internet using basic settings, else you get only english.

So, where are they hiding out?
Are there even language packs for these languages?

Garghoul

Post by Garghoul »

Well, those are the language packs which are available later from System -> Plugins as well.
Are there even language packs for these languages?
That's exactly what I can't imagine that there wouldn't be any, especially since back in October I could switch to German somehow and there wasn't such a language plugin available either. It was pretty much the same language pack selection as it is still now.

But I am not sure anymore, if I actually had a working I-Net link through a weak open WiFi AP in the neighbourhood or not yet. Probably not, since I was still in the process to figure out how to configure Client+AP and connect to that open neighbourhood AP via WiFi at that point.

Unfortunately I don't remember when/how the GUI was later reset back to default English, which at that point was welcomed due to my American friend's temporary usage of the router.
Since then I didn't happen to end up on the Initial Settings page until now, therefore wasn't tempted to replace English yet again ;)