TL-WR841ND - Flashed ok but..

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ccf

TL-WR841ND - Flashed ok but..

Post by ccf »

Hi all

I have managed to flash my WR841ND v8.2, with [gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-factory.bin].

The flashing process went as expected, no hitch, the reboot and load went smooth as well. However once Im logged in, the status page shows no details, it shows the item labels, but no values. Example, no Gargoyle version, model, memory usage etc.

The first oddity that I found was during the setup wizard, I didnt have any options in the timezone drop down. Attempted to setup some basic details under [Connections > Basics], but couldnt save any changes as clicking save did nothing.

Would this mean the firmware is incompatible with my WR841ND v8.2? Or have I missed something?

FYI, the router is not connected to any WAN connections. And firmware was flashed via original firmware's System>Firmware facility.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers

DoesItMatter

Re: TL-WR841ND - Flashed ok but..

Post by DoesItMatter »

1) Reset to defaults
2) Re-flash 1.6.1
3) Try a different browser (make sure the cache is cleared)

Try the above
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

ccf

Post by ccf »

DoesItMatter wrote:1) Reset to defaults
2) Re-flash 1.6.1
3) Try a different browser (make sure the cache is cleared)

Try the above
Thanks a bunch Mod. Reset to factory default and now works like a beaut. All items appears and updates like expected.

There was a small hitch while restoring the default. The GUI that advised the device was restoring the default did not change or disappear after 5 or so minutes. After that period, I physically rebooted the router, as attempting to access the router gave an error advising language issues. Initially thought I had bricked it, as it may still restoring the defaults, but thankfully a reboot returned access and all function like it should!

:mrgreen:

jackspm

Post by jackspm »

I had a Dlink DIR-613 E3 and was flashed with 1.4.7 and everything is working as expect. I then decide to upgrade to 1.6.1 and I have encountered the same problem ccf does. I followed the instructions to reset to default and reflash and now everything is working again....until I rebooted the router. All the settings are gone. I need to reconfigure the router again. Any idea why that is? Thanks.

n0pin

Post by n0pin »

Maybe your filesystem is locked, so settings can't save. Try running following command:

Code: Select all

mtd unlock rootfs_data

anthonyi

Post by anthonyi »

I found the same problem, and also figured out a solution. The problem I had after flashing a NETGEAR WNDR3800 with Gargoyle 1.6.1 was that I would receive JavaScript page errors when I browsed to the settings pages, and also did not see timezone information, as reported in this thread.

Inspecting the web page source code showed

uci: Entry not found

in the page's script, at the line where the browser reported the error. After using Putty to ssh into the router and look at the code, I noticed that this call was failing in the /usr/lib/gargoyle/current_time.sh shell script:

uci get system.@system[0].timezone

When I went to the config file where this setting should have been saved, which is this file:

/etc/config/system

I looked inside and saw that there was no timezone setting under this section:

config system 'system'
option hostname 'Gargoyle'
option cronloglevel '9'

There should have been an option after this for the default timezone. I used the vi editor and added this option to the file:

option 'timezone' 'CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3'

Save the config file, and log back into the router. The JavaScript errors cleared up, the settings showed up, and I was able to configure the router.

For some reason, the default timezone option seems to be missing from at least some builds of Gargoyle.

Anthony